iPod nano, iPod or wait?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ravenvii, Sep 9, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm debating wherhet to buy the iPod nano, a regular iPod or wait. The main reason why I'm debating between the nano and the iPod is the Apple AV Adapter for the iPod doesn't work with the nano. I'd really like to be able to do presentations using my iPod. But the AV Adapter is composite-only - do most places have composite inputs, or is it mostly VGA?

The reason I'm unsure about waiting is that I do want that mythical iPod video, and thought it would be coming out this fall. But with the release of the nano, that became much less likely. The iPod photo seems to be getting old in the tooth though, and needs a update... What do you think?

2. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

do u have nething now? if so you could just wait... if they do come out with a new regular ipod it would definetly be a better gigabyte/$ deal...

3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Nah I don't have an iPod right now.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its a tough call really. how important and how much do you think you would really use it for presentations, and be honest with yourself in that answer.

i think the regular ipods are stable, with a first gen video ipod i am sure that there will be issues galore.

how much music do you have, and do you find yourself wanting to listen to music a lot when you are on the go, where an iPod would fit in naturally, or can you wait for that?

5. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

wow a demi-god w.o. an ipod... well since you don't have one it's a little harder to wait... but also factor in how much physical activity you do since the ipod nano is really light. also if you haven't, check it out at a store... u might not be able to resist after seeing it in person

6. fyzle macrumors member

Well, if you only want to wait till Fall, which is right around the corner, I suggest that you wait.

Then, when you realize the video iPod isn't coming for another 6-12 mo. then buy the photo.l

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

wait...

apple always does this.

they release a cool new product that lacking in some minor ways.

i.e.
    the bronze powerbook (no firewire)
    the g5 iMac (small video card, slower cpu)
    the iPod nano (no usb2, small capacity)

in about 6 months they will re-release the same product.

the bronze powerbook with firewire
    the g5 iMac with 64 mg video card and 2 ghz

and the iPod Nano usb 2 and 6 gb

wait.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

but the nano uses USB 2.0, there is no firewire sure.....

of course there is always something bigger and better on the horizon, its technology, that is a given.

9. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

the ipod nano (no usb2)??? it only has usb2

it's always easy to find fault with a product so no product will ever be "perfect"...if apple stuck 4 and 6gb cards in the nano, some would be upset that it wasn't 6 and 8.

anyway, to answer the original post, it depends on how much music you like to carry around with you. if you just like a few albums and some pictures, the nano is really cool. i ended up buying one when all i wanted to do was see one...they're that amazing in person.

10. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm not concerned about a nano refresh - that'll always happen. 4 GB is plenty for me - I don't have many songs. I'll probably use the AV Adapter about 4 times a year. I can always use PowerPower and their computers, although Keynote makes my presentation look mucho mas bonito.

But an iPod video, if I buy the nano, and the video comes out, I'll be one pissed mofo.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well earliest for a new product release like a vPod would be MWSF, and i still think that would be too early myself, but who knows, could get a lot of use out of a nano between now and then though. if you are only going to be needing the video output 4x a year and dont need the extra space, i wouldn't bother with a full sized ipod. in the end its up to you if you think it will be worth the wait.