Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which product do you think Apple will update first?

• Mac Mini

Votes: 298 68.7%
  • iPod Nano

Votes: 36 8.3%
  • iPod HiFi

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • MacBook

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • MacBook Pro

Votes: 31 7.1%
  • iMac

Votes: 43 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
I would buy a Black MacBook in a heart beat if they added a backlit keyboard. Then I could justify spending the extra money just to get a black one....here's to hoping.

Torajima

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
USA
I find it highly unlikely that with the upcoming release of :apple: TV that there is a massive demand for minis. I, for one, only use my mini as a media server at the moment, and I know quite a few other people do as well.

And you think the Apple TV will replace the mini as a home theater PC? Because for most home theater buffs, it won't.

The Apple TV will only play quicktime compatible media. It won't play the most popular formats, including divx. You can't use the Apple TV as a DVR. You can't burn DVDs with it. You can't play games on it (save the ones Apple decides to sell on the iTunes store).

If you can live with these limitations, great... but I personally would prefer a full fledged computer sitting next to my TV.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
If it shows up soon, what we're looking at is a release that shown have shown up over six months ago. Updating it now means they intend to keep the Mini one generation behind on specs. Core 2 Duo is possible as well as wireless-n, but unless they move it from the mobile platform, updated graphics are not going to happen since GM965 is about two months away.

True... Apple could simply 'freshen' the mini in March with Core2 Duo cpu's now, and still have a few months to come back in the fall with another mini upgrade to Santa Rosa specs, just in time for back-to-school and Christmas. Many seem to think Intel won't announce Santa Rosa until May, but I think it's more likely Intel will announce the line April 17-18, at the Intel Developers Forum in Beijing.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Poll

Added a poll to the thread. Sorry in advance for not making the poll multiple choice. I meant to, but I forgot, and vBulletin doesn't let you go back and make it multiple-choice after the fact. So, just choose the "most correct" answer ;)

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
although I recently got an iPod Hifi for $220, i still think Hifi is going to be updated, after over a year of release.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US

Other models mentioned facing a shortage include the entry-level combo drive iMac, the mid-range MacBook Pro, and the entry-level and black MacBooks.

.........so... what your saying here is that pretty much everythingis low? Great! New Everything Next Tuesday!

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
The mini definitely could use an update ( quite miss mine too, not that I am upset with this 24" iMac or anything) but I highly doubt there will be a nano update anytime soon.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
Yes, I too would like to throw my hat in the ring and say i want a mac mini purely for media. It seems worth the extra over the apple tv. Does anyone know if the gma 3000 (the new integrated graphics card headed for the mac mini according to the macguides) would be any good at upscaling 480p/576p footage to a 720p projector on the fly? I have a feeling I'll have to wait for that elusive mid-range tower mac, but was just wondering what someone with a better handle on the limitations of these shared-VRAM video cards thinks about my chances.

Personally, I think I'd probably have more joy customising a cube, but then I don't think G4's were ever too useful with HD-video.

My own needs aside, a decent-specced mac mini would trounce the apple tv as it has a dvd player (albeit region-locked), a bigger internal hd and can become a pvr with the addition of a usb dongle. I don't think its fair that we waited all this time for the "airport express with video" to get a box that apple touts as a revolutionary device set to be the dvd player of the 21st century, that costs half the price of a mac mini and doesn't have the router built-in. Its really just a 40gb ipod video with front row, that can't leave your telly's side. Plus the new router doesn't have a modem built-in (what's the point in the elegant box if you've got to have some ugly thing your isp's lending you slapped next to it). By the time you've bought both, you may as well have just got a mac mini and put it next to the telly with a few hundred gigs of NAS hooked up at Gig-E (which the new aiport extreme is also lacking, I believe). Apple TVs are only useful for households with several computers containing diverse (viz: flatmates/family members) media collections.

ready2switch

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2006
The mini is a budget computer, and it was left behind on purpose in my opinion. The update will most likely bring it in line with Apple's current offerings, just in time for Apple to update the rest of the line (iMac, MacBook, and MacBook Pro) to Santa Rosa in the next couple of months.

The mini may be the least expensive computer Apple offers, but I wouldn't categorize it as a budget computer (it's outdated, not budget). And even if it somehow is Apple's version of a "budget" computer, I just think it would be a poor decision to constantly leave it 1 step behind. Can people really be satisfied to see the mini "catch up" only to be left behind a month later? How can you get excited about that campaign? To me, it just seems very un-Apple. :D

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
I'm hoping for an update to the Mac Mini soon, as I want to get one to couple with one of the cheap large widescreen panels you can get these days (and attach it to a large TV one day in the future too).

I'm hoping that it'll have better graphics too, although there isn't much space to put a discrete chip (e.g., a GeForce 7400 like the Apple TV). Core 2 Duo goes without saying, as well a 1GB RAM minimum.

Otherwise a 20" iMac appeals - it's got decent graphics at least. However I'd also want to wait for an update here!

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
I'm optimistic about Mini updates - especially since we're getting ready to purchase at work. And, even though I just bought a refurb 60Gig iPod with video, I could be sorely tempted by higher capacity Nanos for music-only listening while I run about town.

That said, my money's on the introduction of new Apple-branded pleather iPod cases to match the existing leather cases.

Chimaera

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2002
While I doubt that anything is likely to happen with the black macbook - since I'm getting one in about 4 weeks I won't complain if something does happen to them :) Personally I'd love it if any of the following appeared:

1) Discrete graphics card
2) 2gig RAM as standard
3) backlit keyboard

Although as I say, I consider the odds on this to be basically nil

LFrascogna

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2003
Chicago, IL
I want one thing from Apple.

Widescreen, touchscreen iPod video.

If Zunes worked with macs, I would consider switching because it has been WAY TOO LONG since there was a meaningful iPod update.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
For what it's worth...

According to a distributer that we use: Supplies remain high for the Mac Mini's and they are active and the Nano's are still active. Supplies of the C2Duo Macbooks and Pro's are good as well as the Mac Pro...

The 'Hi-Fi' is 'Special Order' only with 1 in stock. The Ipod Camera Connector is disco'ed (didn't here that anywhere yet). Looks like there might be a 'new' U2 ipod. They are stuffed to the gills with 4Gig black Nano's, the discontinued kind... They have a good number of the older 60G Ipod's too...

It seems that the 'Special Order' label is on some products that are on their way out. Don't know if that means the Hi-Fi is a dead product sitting or not...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
For what it's worth...

The reason that I mention this is that a day before the C2Duo MacBook came out, I checked stock and found all of the regular ones at starvation levels... Less than 4 or so and most 'sold out'...

From what I see, if Apple is planning to change the Mini, they are going to stick that distributer with more black nano's that can't be sold because everyone wants the new stuff...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.