iPod Nano maintains Apple's halo

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 4, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

devilot

I guess I could see where the author is coming from, but really, is Windows XP 'cool?' I hardly think so, and yet it still leads the way in the sheer numbers. If anything Apple is cool, and still hasn't sold that many machines. But I personally wish that more people used Macs, then I wouldn't miss mine so much whenever I go elsewhere, just use their Macs... not to mention, there would probably be a result of more software being available if more people used Macs. Sigh. More games... that would be lovely. :eek:

3. macrumors G5

nagromme

Being "cool" is a very SUPERFICIAL part of Apple's and the iPod's success. It's important, and it's tied to Apple's genuine design strengths that others lack. But it's just a PART.

The REAL strengths of the iPod--and Macs, OS X, iLife, etc.--are NOT superficial ones.

Remove the superficial reasons to buy and you still have a good solid product line that nobody shows signs of coming close to.

Besides:

* Having a digital music player at ALL still puts you in the minority. They've become common in a sense, but most people still don't have one, of any brand.

* When/if the iPod/iTunes system becomes too common to support the "cool"/"elite" factor... is there a tempting alternative waiting to step in as the new "cool"? I just don't see it.

4. macrumors 6502a

ibook30

True. Cool is all relative, to me - XP was pretty cool for a while - after trying to use ME. But after I started to use OSX - the other systems lost cool points... very subjective way of evaluating.

Edit- Wouldn't it be cool if apple announces an increase in market share today?