Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which product do you think Apple will update first?

• Mac Mini

Votes: 298 68.7%
  • iPod Nano

Votes: 36 8.3%
  • iPod HiFi

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • MacBook

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • MacBook Pro

Votes: 31 7.1%
  • iMac

Votes: 43 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld.co.uk reports that supplies of several Apple products appear to be at extremely low levels, but will ship in quantity within a matter of weeks. While the pattern may simply reflect a stronger than normal demand, it is also a strong indication that product launches are on the way.

Models facing shortages are reported to be all versions of the Mac mini and the iPod Nano as well as the HiFi. The site notes that their sources indicate that the Nano will be shipping again as early as next week, indicating that if an update should occur, it may occur as early as next week.

Other models mentioned facing a shortage include the entry-level combo drive iMac, the mid-range MacBook Pro, and the entry-level and black MacBooks.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Need a Mac Mini

I would like a Mac Mini with Core 2 Duo, better graphics card, 802.11n and possibly an HDMI port. I would like to use it as a home theatre mac. A 3.5" HD would be a blast and user serviceable. Just make it easier to open!!

Optional "AppleTV profile" mode where it acts pretty much like apple tv and doesn't need a keyboard/mouse. However have a normal mode too where we can do other things.

M

Mr.damien

I don't care about this b*******. I want the new mac pro NOW !!!:mad:

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
I find it highly unlikely that with the upcoming release of :apple: TV that there is a massive demand for minis. I, for one, only use my mini as a media server at the moment, and I know quite a few other people do as well.

Also, remember, the mini is still the only one shipping with the Core (rather than Core2)chips, as well as 802.11g.

nicksoper

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
Cape Town
Mac Mini

I think a mac mini with a really fast hard drive would be pretty sweet. I've got a Cinema display for my macbook pro, but I'd like to have a dedicated desktop and the mac mini would be ideal. But one with a laptop hard drive would be pretty pointless! Also some more RAM capcity would be nice.

I wonder if you could balance the cinema on top of the mac mini? :confused: :D

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I find it highly unlikely that with the upcoming release of :apple: TV that there is a massive demand for minis. I, for one, only use my mini as a media server at the moment, and I know quite a few other people do as well.

Also, remember, the mini is still the only one shipping with the Core (rather than Core2)chips, as well as 802.11g.

I am with you on that one. I might be buying one for that very purpose in the future.

I am hoping for a MBP 12 " or similar :-D

serpico

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I would like a Mac Mini with Core 2 Duo, better graphics card, 802.11n and possibly an HDMI port. I would like to use it as a home theatre mac. A 3.5" HD would be a blast and user serviceable. Just make it easier to open!!

Optional "AppleTV profile" mode where it acts pretty much like apple tv and doesn't need a keyboard/mouse. However have a normal mode too where we can do other things.

That sounds good, but now that Apple TV is out, I don't think Apple would like us to use Mac Mini's for this use. I can see them continuing the Mac Mini as is and just upgrade the existing hardware specs. It seems to be doing fine.

I sold my first generation Mac Mini last month and do miss it. This might be a good time to replace it if it's true. Been using a pc notebook for business & personal use now. :(

I wonder if Apple will just wait to upgrade any computers until Leopard comes out? Or give people who buy new computers a free coupon to upgrade?

I really need a new iPod and hope a new style with 100GB comes out soon.

cebritt

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Austin, TX
Waiting for new Mac Mini

I've been waiting for Apple to add the Duo 2 to the Mac mini to replace my aged Blueberry iMac at home. With 19" and 22" flat panels so cheap, it seems like a better deal than the iMacs.

Carleton in Austin, TX

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
That sounds good, but now that Apple TV is out, I don't think Apple would like us to use Mac Mini's for this use.

Generally, I agree, but I have a hard time thinking that apple would shed too many tears if someone wanted to drop $600-$800 when they have a $299 option.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005

You can't put a 3.5" drive in the Mini. Not without changing the form factor, which is highly unlikely. Nor is it any more likely to see it become a user serviceable unit. There's more chance of a mid-range tower before any such changes to the Mini. Core 2 Duo, Santa Rosa & the X3000 GPU, and 802.11n are all almost for certain upgrades within the next cycle or so, and the HDMI port is anyone's guess.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa

If it shows up soon, what we're looking at is a release that shown have shown up over six months ago. Updating it now means they intend to keep the Mini one generation behind on specs. Core 2 Duo is possible as well as wireless-n, but unless they move it from the mobile platform, updated graphics are not going to happen since GM965 is about two months away.

sandau

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2005
hmmm, maybe the hifi might be an add on to the apple tv as a home theater in a box like the yamaha YSP and bose models (virtual sound). i'd like that.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I think a mac mini with a really fast hard drive would be pretty sweet. I've got a Cinema display for my macbook pro, but I'd like to have a dedicated desktop and the mac mini would be ideal. But one with a laptop hard drive would be pretty pointless! Also some more RAM capcity would be nice.

I wonder if you could balance the cinema on top of the mac mini? :confused: :D

There is a 3rd party stand for putting the Mini under a display. I don't know why Apple doesn't offer 7200RPM drives for the Mini like the do the notebooks as a BTO, other than it is an entry level machine, but you are quite welcome to open one up and throw a faster drive in it. Just realize there isn't any room in there for a full size HD. 2GB RAM is plenty for a Mini, though bumping the base to 1GB is overdue like C2D. Just remember it is an entry level machine and people looking for a cheap 1st Mac or media center don't need so much RAM that it runs $1000+ for one.

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
mini update

like several otherpeople here, i am looking at the mini with an eye toward home theater. the fact that i can get an entire computer (for when the laptop and desktop are in use by the kids wife) and also have front row, all my itunes (at the stereo) and a happy little game corner is just great. the tax return is going to get a mini, TV, and wireless mouse and keys.

so come on Apple, drop the update before the cash burns a hole in my pocket!

:apple:

coffeecty

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2006
please, please, please... Just release an orange Nano and a tranlucent orange iMac!!!! Please? I want my translucent plastic back!!!! :D

ready2switch

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2006
The mini is terribly out of date, which makes me lean toward it being possibly discontinued (or redesigned to the point of becoming a completely different product). With Santa Rosa due out soon (read next several months), Apple has the opportunity to completely redesign their line. Think about it: the iMac uses laptop components; the mini uses laptop components; two very successful lines of laptops are just waiting for Santa Rosa to be updated. Basically the only system independent of Santa Rosa is the Mac Pro, which is likely only waiting on Leopard to be updated.

Now, I'm not saying or hinting that Apple is planning a "mid-range tower" or anything of that sort. I just think, with all this waiting and with no word of Macs at all at MWSF, that Apple has something (read major redesigns) in the wings to completely revamp their offerings computer-wise.

Of course, I could just be dreaming. Either way, I don't see updates until after Leopard is announced (though I would be happy to be proved wrong). :D

Oh, and the nano thing is just high demand. I don't see updates until Fall (but again, happy to be proved wrong). :p

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
I'd really like to see an updated mini, I'd consider getting one. But not till it has leopard, the new graphics chip,higher bus speed, ect.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
like several otherpeople here, i am looking at the mini with an eye toward home theater. the fact that i can get an entire computer (for when the laptop and desktop are in use by the kids wife) and also have front row, all my itunes (at the stereo) and a happy little game corner is just great. the tax return is going to get a mini, TV, and wireless mouse and keys.:

I'm unsure why so many people are saying that they will use a Mac Mini for this purpose when it receives some future upgrade.

We're using on for this right now ... cable TV signal into the Mini via a Miglia TVMax (chosen because it offers some built-in hardware encoding to take the strain off the Mini's rather weedy graphics capabilities) and straight out of the Mini into an LG 26" LCD TV via unadapted DVI. Harmon Kardon speakers out of the Mini to provide the sound. Add a wireless keyboard and mouse, and a broadband connection and we're very happy with the set-up.

OK ... so I'm not going to be doing any hardcore gaming on it, but this very compact little set-up has replaced our stereo, DVD player and VCR, and added full internet access via the TV in the living room.

I'd unreservedly recommend it to just about anyone!

Cheers

Jim

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
The mini is terribly out of date, which makes me lean toward it being possibly discontinued (or redesigned to the point of becoming a completely different product). With Santa Rosa due out soon (read next several months), Apple has the opportunity to completely redesign their line. Think about it: the iMac uses laptop components; the mini uses laptop components; two very successful lines of laptops are just waiting for Santa Rosa to be updated. Basically the only system independent of Santa Rosa is the Mac Pro, which is likely only waiting on Leopard to be updated.

The mini is a budget computer, and it was left behind on purpose in my opinion. The update will most likely bring it in line with Apple's current offerings, just in time for Apple to update the rest of the line (iMac, MacBook, and MacBook Pro) to Santa Rosa in the next couple of months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.