IPOD Nano not responding to anything "dead"

Discussion in 'iPod' started by diegozuniga, Oct 11, 2005.

1. diegozuniga macrumors newbie

Hi,

I sorry to say that I am new to Macs, i got my very first Ibook 3 days ago. With it, i got a 4Gig Ipod Nano. I have been trying to get to let me use it as a hard drive in my old PC in order to move some files that i need. After I did the first succesfull transfer, I uploaded a couple of movies that i had in my old computer and when i ejected the nano, it went completely black. I have tried to reset it and nothing happens, changed it from computers to charge up, not touched it, and rebotted my Ibook several times to se if it even recognizes it. And nothing happens, can somebody please help me? Thank you very much.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

does it show up in the iBook at all? In disk utility, iTunes or desktop?

3. Fanglekai macrumors newbie

You can still send it back under full warranty, and you won't have to pay shipping. While it's a pain, it'd be free.

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

so helpful in trying to solve the problem as to why this is happening :rolleyes:

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

As Eva stated,

Attempt to connect it to the ibook and see if you can get it to mount (show up as a drive and or iPod). It could be that the windows system wasn't charging the nano (have seen this before) and the battery simply died.

I have had to plug in, and unplug my nano from the USB connector on my iBook (and PC) upto 2 times before it "comes back to life" . I believe the first connection gives it a shot of energy, and the 2nd connection wakes it up so it can tell the computer "hey I am here, keep feeding me power",

You can also try a reset, put the iPod on hold (not usually needed) take back off of hold, Press and hold Menu + Select (Center button) for 5 or so seconds. Hopefully after that you will have an ipod that as come back to life.

Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

6. diegozuniga thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

That worked. Thank you very much, i read that on the apple website but i did not now that they refered to the Select key as the middle button. I really apreciate your help and your quick response. I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!!!