ipod Nano or Sony PSP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JW8725, Sep 7, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Well its time to go shopping me thinks! Now then, I can't buy them both and I'm stuck as to which one? Decisions decisions! C'mon help me out here? What would you buy and why?? :confused:

2. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

A 4 gig Ipod Nano. Why?

It's the most beautifull ipod ever released.
    It's brand new.
    Its tiny, with a colour screen, photo ability for that size!
    Solid state memory, no skipping whilst im skipping
    World clock and screen lock,

The list goes on and on and on.

3. Jopling macrumors 6502

I'd go with a PSP. I already have a non color 40 gig 4th gen ipod. I'd prob go PSP even if i didn't have it.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Nano

its an iPod and PSP is not fun :D

( im goign to have people yell at me for that

5. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

OK...i have both (a psp and an ipod mini 6gb)..so im not going to be biased....it all depends on which u think your going to use more. the psp is a great device..the games are amazing. but remember its REAL EXPENSIVE to keep up with it. games, memory card etc. etc. NOW ON THE OTHER hand..the mini's (now nano) are gr8..... they arent an expensive hobby (i dont where you download music from ;) )...and also it seems like the psp can get a lil boring to me sometimes, and the mini is always gr8 to have. bottom line i think its where u stand financially, but if things are tight, im assuming the ipod nano is the best choice,

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nano. simply because its an iPod and Apple. For less you can get the 4gb Nano, or for more you could hold less on a PSP (1Gb is the max for those sticks? which also cost a lot).

Nano :)

7. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

PSP for sure, better value with great features. The iPod can't browse the internet or play movies and games can it? More music the iPod is king, but for everything else PSP is great.

8. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Agreed. The iPod is definitely for Music but the PSP can internet and movies and great games. It depends what you want.. if you want music get iPod if you want movies get PSP.

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

remeber the nano is cheaper, and it's only worth getting a psp if it has 1.5 or below firmware, if it does then you can run emulators and hacks ect, if it does not it's pretty useless, the games are not too good and dont last.

10. AmericanIdiot12 macrumors regular

psp is total crap

i hate mine

its been in the box for over a month cuz im too lazy to actually post it on ebay

why play on a 4 inch screen what i can play on a tv for less money...plus its useless in any amount of sunlight because the screen has so much glare and gets washed out

11. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

The PSP is a gimmick that promises a lot, and delivers it in a very mediocre fashion.

The Nano is a gimmick that promises to be small, portable, play music, and display photos. It does all of that superbly (I have to assume!), and more.

Just look at it this way- you can't get a 4 gig jump drive for the price of a 4-gig Nano.

Nano all the way.

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

This is easy. If the thing you want to do MOST is (1) play games or (2) play videos, then you should get the PSP. If you want primarily to play music, get the nano... but remember that that's pretty much all the nano can do. The PSP can do almost everything.

13. savar macrumors 68000

savar

They're totally different! Why are you having a hard time deciding? Just ask yourself, do you want a cool little music player or do you want a larger, more expensive music/video/game player?

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

PSP has great graphics( for a handheld) but not that many good games to back it up( i think) the internet is cool but thats wht i woudl buy a laptop for.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

a good plan would be to buy a Nano AND a PStwo and a few games so you can sit back in glee as PSP owners play watered down ports (no intention to cause a flamewar, it will have much better games in the future. i promise ;))

there. latest MP3 player, and a games + video player! for (approx) the same price as a PSP and a few games.

16. Cfly macrumors regular

its easy if you want music mostly then get a ipod

if you want games and a little music/videos get the psp.

17. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

iPod nano all the way, PSP has no games and lots of movies...what's the point of buying $20 movies that only work on a PSP. Lame.

Oh and btw, I'll find the link if somebody wants it, I remember reading the Nintendo DS outselling the PSP 5 to 1 or 8 to 1. It was unbelievable--that's why I remembered it.

18. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

I have a PSP... I havent touched in a week or so.. Its not really that good for traveling. I would reccomend the nano. I would love to have a nano but my shuffle is doing fine and have only had it for a few months.

19. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Majority of the posters on this thread say Nano.

So unless you want to surf or game, the Nano it is. ;) :) :D

20. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

it isn't that hard... do you want movies,games and music or photos and music.

21. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The PSP is overrated, did you see Steve Jobs reaction when the PSP was compared to the iPod. LOL. Sure its a competing product to a point, however he was trying to make it clear that the PSP, is just a fad. :)

22. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

If you only want a portable for music: iPod of any flavor you prefer.

If you only want a portable for movies: a portable DVD player with a 7 inch screen.

If you only want a portable for games: DS or PSP, depending on your preference.

If you want a portable for music, movies, games, browsing and photos: PSP + 1-2GB stick.

I have a 60GB iPod for music, audiobooks and photos, plus for portable file storage. I have a PSP and a 1GB stick for gaming, browsing, and some cartoons for the kid to watch. I also keep a few photos, but no music, on the PSP. I'd love to get a DS, too, but I can't justify another handheld system on top of the PSP and GBA SP.

As others have said, they are not direct competitors, regardless of what Sony spouts.

23. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I have a PSP, a 40 GB iPod and a 512 MB iPod shuffle. If you want games, the PSP is a great choice. Unlike some of the others in this thread, I love mine. Of course, I'm not a big gamer, so a few good games is enough for me. If you want music, definitely go with the iPod nano, as the PSP isn't really very good for music (memory is too expensive for it).

24. PaZuZuPrime macrumors newbie

Why?

Why even ask? If you want to play games get a PSP if you want music get a nano. It's not rocket science.

25. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I have a PSP, and a 20gb iPod and a Shuffle.
    I think a lot of people here are wearing Apple-tinted glasses. The PSP is great for what it does. I bought it because the graphics are better that the Nintendo DS plus it has better games. (I am not interested in Pokemon or Nintendog) The builtin wifi in PSP is awesome. Nothing better than playing Twisted Metal or NBA over the internet.

That being said, you need to ask yourself if you like to play games? If you really prefer songs, then go iPod. If you would rather play games and occasionally listen to music, get the PSP.