iPod Nano Photo Capabilities

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mintlivedotcom, Sep 8, 2005.

1. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

I have search here and the 'net (including Apple's page) to find out if the Nano can be connected to a TV to view the photos. Otherwise, what's the point of viewing them so tiny on the Nano?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Maybe third parties can make camera adaptors?

I dunno. Maybe they just felt like adding it since they already switched to a color screen. If they didn't we'd be hearing endless complaint about why Apple just didn't add photo support. :rolleyes:

3. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

So people can see them? Even a small picture is still worth a thousand words.

5. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Well, does the Nano Pod fit in the Photo Pod dock? Didnt that thing have Video Output?

6. mintlivedotcom thread starter macrumors regular

Good questions! I want to be able to show the Grannies the latest slideshows of my newborn through their TV and I'm sure they can't focus on a tiny Nano screen.

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You can always whine your way into an Apple Store to pick up a 20GB iPod.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Better yet get the Epson P-2000. Great screen on that. I would be camping at Apples door for an iPod maxi that gave iTunes capabilities to the likes of the p-2000.

9. mintlivedotcom thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean "whine"? I am not complaining, just asking questions about something I don't even own.

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Oh sorry. It came across as whining to me. My apologies.

11. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

The most likely reason the nano doesn't contain video out, or audio in, or any other features that the bigger iPods have is simply size. The 20GB and 60GB iPods are quite large in comparison, because they have all those extra "chips" in them allowing tv out, and audio in. These are hardware features that can't simply be added with software. I believe the first iPod photo was thicker then the original 4G BW iPod simply because it allowed TV out. So, I doubt the nano will ever get TV out, unless technology drastically changes soon.

12. mintlivedotcom thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! That is the most helpful response I have read so far. I agree, it must be the limitations of the small size. I guess I will stop drooling over the Nano and take another look at the iPod Photo.

13. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

They must have assumed that since the nano can display photos, it can output them. Those are 2 completely different things.

Apple's iPod nano specs page has different descriptions of "Connectivity" for the nano and photo. For the nano it says "Dock connector, stereo minijack" and for the photo it says "Dock connector, remote connector, stereo minijack, composite video and audio through minijack".

Displaying photos on screen is simply a software feature (reading files from the hard drive, converting them to LCD pixels) but outputting images to a TV is a hardware feature. You need a microcontroller that can read in image data and then output that as a TV signal.

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

No, that won't work. It's only source of data is the headphone jack, which on the iPod photo is an A/V composite port, but not on the nano.

The only thing I can see working would be some sort of specialized dock that has the TV converter built into it rather than relying on the one in the iPod.

15. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Apple might release an iPod nano Dock that has TV capability. They might be working on it right now, considering the nano was rushed out to make it in time for the Sept 7 event. Expected price should be $59.

16. VicMacs macrumors 6502

i guess the nano's dock doesnt support it but the ipod photo dock does...