ipod nano--photo viewing on television?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jmufellow, Sep 14, 2005.

1. jmufellow macrumors regular

I am thinking about getting iPod nano, but one thing that I keep coming back to is that the nano doesn't have a video out to display photos on a TV. Does anyone think that there will be an accessory that will allow you to plug it into a television by using that plug thing on the bottom of the iPod? Is that even possible?

2. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Maybe it's theoretically possible, but photos are stored on the nano at a pretty low resolution (since the screen is small.)

You can have iTunes automatically sync originals of all the photos, so that would leave an outside possibility that someone could create a dock that accessed these photos.

I would say the chance is less than 3%.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

what about using the ipod nano>>regular dock adapter and using an ipod photo dock? would that work?

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Give it a shot, if you've got one laying around. Otherwise, don't bother buying one. As people were discussing on another thread, apple didn't even have space to put in a firewire chip (hence USB only), so i doubt they threw in a video out.

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

While it might be physically possible (could involve some sort of hack), the nano was definitely not designed for such purposes. So if you're looking for that functionality, I would go with a regular ipod.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I've been wondering about Apple's plans for a nano dock... from all the reports I've seen the dock adaptor doens't fit into any of the current dock models, and isn't needed either. I wonder if they are planning on releasing a dock with a TV converter built in for the nano in the future and somehow this adaptor will be needed? (If, for example, the new dock design is more expensive to produce so they discontinue all other docks in order to streamline production and make the dock sales still profitable... so they would have to fit all the models of the iPod?)

Just baseless speculation. It's fun, try it. :)

7. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

The lifeblood of this site, my friend ;)

8. jmufellow thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the replies. I just think that such an accessory, if possible, would make the nano that much more desireable. I'm not that knowledgeable on the technical side, but if the music information that is stored on the ipod can be transferred through this connection (ie the bose sounddock), then it seems logical that the photo information could also be transferred through this connection as well. maybe?

I can dream :)

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

oh, im not planning on buying one in the forseeable future :p but i was just curious as to whether anyone had already tried it. ;)