Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Achillyse

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2007
I think they could well be real...

As has been said, the association of photoshop with the images doesn't make them fake. Apple would use photoshop to create advertising and definitely create interface mockups in photoshop... the Video iPod ones use myriad font, something different is actually used on unit.

Also, about the form factor. Makes sense to change it for video content, plus it would allow this new Nano to use content designed for current video iPod. Also the comparison of this Nano with the old one (dependent on scroll wheel size, I know) shows it is not actually that fat and may fit in the palm better. It would be shorter and slightly wider while gaining a vastly larger screen - a good tradeoff.

Finally, on the imperfection of the pentagon, note that the image is a photo of a screen taken at an angle.

Yahgo

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2006
Harrisonburg, VA
OMG! It so ugly! Plus, I think these are fakes.

1) This is not part of Apple's Color scheme.
2) The nano is the most popular iPod because of it's ultra slim and small fit. These seem to be a lot fatter.
3) Name one square handheld device (besides some crappy mp3 player that maybe sold 4 units last year) . They don't "fit" well in your hand.
4) These look plastic and Apple is moving towards Ai and Glass.
5) Plus they just look odd.

Codemonkey

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2002
Edmonton
Look at how imperfect the shaping is.

nanospyshotho4.jpg

Not very scientific, but it's a rough idea.

The lighting's not symmetrical either - the whole thing reeks of amateur composition.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
While I don't believe this to be an actual ad layout (the pentagon is imperfect, and the shadows are all wrong; if you were doing a physical photo the shadows would be consistent and then the layout might be slightly imperfect; if you were doing a raytrace render as Apple often does the shadows and layout would be perfect) ... still, this seems a likely ad layout.

2007: The Year of the Pentagon.

Funny we've seen more pentagon ads (and other five-object groupings, like the iMac banner) in 2007 from Apple than we did HD products in the Year of HD or Laptops in the Year of the Laptop. So, 2007 must be The Year of the Pentagon.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I guess I will have to wait to see:

a) if these are real or not (obviously)
and
b) if these are real, what they actually look like and feel like in person

Right now, I can't say I'm a fan of the stubby design. I understand what Apple may be trying to accomplish in terms of providing a bigger screen, but I say leave that for the iPod and keep the iPod nano, well, nano. :cool:

Rgardless, I don't think I'll ever buy a nano. My next iPod purchase will be whenever Apple releases a full touch screen iPod (i.e. an iPhone without the phone part ;)).

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
It's fake. Notice how the shadow of each iPod is on the right side regardless of position?

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
By the look of these, I'd say Apple is adding video and game
capabilities to the nano. SWEET!

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
People. Get a clue. This is doing nothing more than wasting all our time.

That photo has got to be one of the _worst_ photoshop jobs out there. Look at the highlight/lowlight on the thumb button. it freaking *rotates* with each Nano rotation! And so does the shadow! OMG.

I can't believe this made it to the front page.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Not even worthy of page 2. :rolleyes:

oclor

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
I don't think these are nanos or regular ipods. I think they are a third branch (or fourth if you count the shuffle) of ipods. Think about it, the nano is the cool small slender ipod for music. The regular ipod is probably gonna be upgraded to touch screen, and will be for video mainly. This fits in perfectly in between for those who want a little bit of both. A small ipod that can play video with a decent sized screen!

Quickdood

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Picture at an Angle?

Look at how imperfect the shaping is.

nanospyshotho4.jpg

Not very scientific, but it's a rough idea.

I am not sure drawing a pentagon over the picture would make too much sense. If this picture was actually the original it would but this is a picture of a picture. That being the case the photographer could have been at an angle and this would cause the scale of the photo to be altered. The shadow claim makes sense, they are messed up but this photo may be a work in progress and therefore the shadows may be altered in the final touches.

As far as the design I like it, It will still fit into my pocket nicely and and it will give the people who don't wan't a touchscreen ipod a click wheel alternative.

skoops

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
These iPods are UGLY! Should Apple really release them I'll have to reconsider my stock portfolio

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
The simple reason why I want this to be true is it means the regular iPod will be freaking kicking! Full widescreen, and WiFi. MMmmmm.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
I think they look ugly, and that picture is either photoshopped or taken so badly that the "nanos" look crappily spaced and lit.

-=|Mgkwho

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Oh, please, that is a very, very crude mock-up. The suspicious noise and dithering don't even come close to masking it. :rolleyes:

Even if it was a camera pic of, let's say, an inept Apple marketing intern's poor attempt at a graphic for a keynote presentation, why would it have that weird dithering on it?

Why would someone have converted the pic to 256 colors before posting it? (The image is a beefy 200K+, so it wasn't for compression) It seems like an attempt to disguise the quality of the mockup.

I was believing 9to5mac until this came out...

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
A small, wide but thin, video nano of these proportions priced at $199 will sell at historically high rates. Kids will love them, tall will begin to look strange. It will also create a larger market for Apple video sales. Currently, all those nano users are not video customers, that is about to change.

Quickdood

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Not Quite

The simple reason why I want this to be true is it means the regular iPod will be freaking kicking! Full widescreen, and WiFi. MMmmmm.

I am with you there, if these are real we will def see a full widescreen ipod and that is what I will be purchasing. BUT we prob will not see Wifi becase then they would need FCC approval and I don't see them getting that and keeping it secret with a September release which I believe will happen. We will prob see wifi for the 7G line, they want to still make the iphone attractive and wifi on a widescreen ipod will detract from the iphones features.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
While adding video to the Nano would be a great move IMHO, I will have to second what many here have said, those iPods are UGLY! The shape makes them look fat, and the colors are terrible. I sure hope they're fake. Not to mention, why would they want to make the Nano shorter? The size right now is very manageable any smaller and you may as well get a shuffle.

propropro

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2004
Spain
I placed an image of the existing Nano over this new design. Assuming the control wheel is the same size (big assumption), you can get an idea of the size of the new one:

If you assume that, and add to the picture a iPod 5G, you'll see that the screen is EXACTLY the same size and width as that iPod 5G... maybe this is the iPod 6G

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.