iPod nano sales not doing so hot?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jholzner, Sep 13, 2005.

1. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

:D i'd buy a nano in a heartbeat if they dropped the price by $50

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'd buy one of each color if they dropped the price by $150! :p

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

ha- i'd have to agree :D

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Somehow I just don't see Apple cutting the price of the nano so soon. It would be like them admitting that it's a "flop". Maybe right after the holiday season, I could see it, after 3 months or so, right in the middle of a 6 month upgrade cycle... but, I have to agree that if the 4gb was $199 and the 3gb was down to $149 or $169 I'd probably get two rather than the one I am planning on.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Hang about - the initial production rate was 1 black to 8 white. The biggest demand is for black ones which are outselling by around 8 black to one white.

They got 1600 or so and have sold 200-500 which means they have run out of black and only have white left. So people will wait for the black ones to come back in again.

Given the level of interest around the table in Regent St and the numbers in the checkout line, I can't see sales being that poor! Perhaps Apple just got the stock quantities right for a change so that resellers won't have an 80% out of stock rate coming up to the holiday season.

7. jholzner thread starter macrumors 65816

jholzner

Yeah, I saw that too and mentioned it in the Appleinsider forums. It's also up there in Amazon.com's listings. But in the retail segment it's off to a slow start. The Online Apple Store orders are not a good judge of the overall success of a product.

8. jholzner thread starter macrumors 65816

jholzner

Maybe they just need to lower the price of the white model by $50 :D

9. iGary Guest

iGary

The Annapolis store, right down the street from us, only got them in Saturday.

Saturday. :rolleyes:

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As mentioned above, it sounds like the 4GB black nano is essentially sold out. Apple just needs to adjust production ratios. Also, most people probably just can't fathom the concept that a new Apple product might actually be in stores so soon, so they're waiting the traditional three months before they even look for it. ;)

11. jholzner thread starter macrumors 65816

jholzner

That's a good point. I'll admit that after less than a week of "availabilty," trying to judge the success of a product is not very wise either.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'm not surprised more black nanos are being sold, the white is too much like the existing iPod, the black is a slightly "fresher" look.

13. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I am taking appleinsiders news-bit with a grain of salt. This iPod is sooo sexy, everyone i see says i want one!!! I am getting one as soon as I have the monies and even my bro is thinking about getting one as soon as he has the monies. I went to the apple store here in Holland and they are only receiving theirs on Thursday...
    I believe that we should just wait a month to see true values of how many of these guys got shipped.

14. lopresmb macrumors 6502

not only that, just wait till november when the holiday shopping season starts, holy smokes, its going to be ridiculous

15. RooX macrumors newbie

am i the only one who bought the black model soley because the white one has the ugly grey wheel? Apple really needs to color match the wheel of the ipods.

16. mac-er macrumors 65816

Great, they are going to think everyone loves black electronics...

glossy black Macs, here we come. :rolleyes:

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

didnt really care about the color i just wanted the product. i would of been happy with the white one just as i am with the black one.....i better be happy with it, not nice picture if i wasn't.

MORE TIMES!

18. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Or, like me, waiting 4-6 weeks for some cases to start hitting the market.

19. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I have to take this lightly. It my school someone probobly talks about getting a new iPod once every 2 weeks. Now that the iPod nano has came out 2 people I have talked to have bought it and 2 people have them orderd then the rest wish they could have it.

20. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I sorta wish I would have been that smart :eek: The back isnt that bad becuase I have been mainly foucusing on keeping it clean but the front is horable. It has fine scratches in every way possible. Does anyone know how cleaner products work on the front and back of the nano?

21. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

that is a very valid point, the first thing i did when i got my 30gb photo was buy a case. and i am sure glad i did!

22. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

My brother was at the Indianapolis Apple store on Saturday. The genius on staff told him they received a shipment of Nano's on Thursday morning and they were completely sold by Friday morning.

23. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

this is amazing. when the products are short people complain. now there's enough and they say sales are slow.

sales seem to be going fairly well in london. i know i picked mine up on thursday afternoon because i thought the initial stock would finish v. quickly (i.e. shuffles) but nope..

i think that for once apple has estimated right and produced enough.

24. esco macrumors 6502

esco

From my point of view, they didn't produce enough black ones. I ordered my black 4GB last wednesday with overnight delivery, and it still hasn't shipped :(.