Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
RooX said:
am i the only one who bought the black model soley because the white one has the ugly grey wheel? Apple really needs to color match the wheel of the ipods.

Uh...

I can't imagine many people having a complaint about that. I think it would look rather weird without the grey click wheel, personally.

It's a matter of taste of course, but I think Jonathan Ive has some of the best in the world.

I have a lot of trouble finding fault with the design of any current Apple product.

Bob_Barker

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2004
Gainesville, FL
I agree that any notion of the products success or failure at this point is way too premature. There was a frenzy for the iPod mini, but there were five weeks between the announcement and the availability. I think its great that Apple has provided enough stock to meet demand in the first few weeks. Shrotages are a bad thing for everybody. Apple misses out on potential sales and customers are frustrated in their attempts get what they want. I think they will sell a TON of these things are more people become aware of them. It takes time for information to proliferate, and even more time for people to make a purchasing decision. I picked one up last Friday, and having owned every model since the 3G, I'm confident in saying Apple nailed it with the nano. It is everything an iPod mini replacement should be.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The fact of the matter is that most people don't even know the nano exists yet because its so new and Apple hasn't started it's saturation ad bombing yet. This is the FIRST time in the iPods history when a new model has been available at the announcement instead of week later...weeks used to start up the PR machine. Also, this is an Xmas item. Wait until the shopping season starts and I'll bet there will be shortages.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I bought my white 4GB Saturday at the Apple store in Soho. I went back today to buy a black 4GB for my brother, all 4GB's were sold out black and white. I also tried Best Buy and CompUSA, they sold out also. All stores seem to have plenty 2GB's though, guess nobody wants 500 songs in their pocket.

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Hmmm, maybe because everybody has an iPod already? But then again, I have one and I will purchase the Nano for Xmas or when they come out w/ the 8GB....

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
They would be must more popular if Apple released more colors. Black and white is boring, they should at least add pink and blue.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
probally people just don't feel the need to invest in another iPod b'cos they already have an iPod 20G...its pretty much pointless to have like 2 or 3 iPods b'cos u can only listen to one at one time...Plus lots got the student union offer thing for the iPod mini and i don't think anyone will wanna put that extra cash into anoher thing "similar" to the one they already have...plus its only an music player and all u need is just to listen to music...the ability to view photos is just a function that only some might find it useful...don't come telling me u view those pictures EVERYDAY...plus i don't think i have the time to upload photos EVERYDAY...remember we now have cell phones that can take good quality pictures...

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
jamdr said:
They would be must more popular if Apple released more colors. Black and white is boring, they should at least add pink and blue.

Isn't that what the Nanotubes are for? People who want to can easily change the color of their iPod, while Apple doesn't have to juggle differing demands for 5 different colors.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I think the MP3 player market is a little flooded. Remember when the minis came out and everyone wanted their hands on one and it took 5-6 weeks to get one?

Now everybody and their grandma (thanks college teacher for that quote- you know what I mean) has an iPod. Unless some ones iPod breaks or they want to spend another $250+ on one, they probably won't be buying another. Some people aren't as mac obsessed as we are. Remember people would be "wow, you have an iPod", but now it seems everyone has one.

I compared my nano to a coworkers mini, I had to laugh. the "mini" looks old looking and ginormous compared to the color screen nano. I'm sure if they hold onto the basic design of the Nano around x-mas time it will be sell well, or when people's minis start breaking and are not under warranty. I expect that they will eventually catch on, just not yet.

Thats just my look on the matter.

Addition: I don't think black or white really make a huge difference in people buying them. The minis sold because not just because they had colors, but they were "really small" in their day, and cheaper than the white iPod. The nano will attract buyers not by its colors, but by its incredibly small size. They will consider it "cute".

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I think it's

really about getting the production table right too... the durham store finally got them in on friday and told me they had plenty not to rush... by the time a got there a few hours later they were completely out of the black 4gig and nearly out of the white 4gig... he said the only reason people were buying the 2gig ones was because they were out of the black 4gigs.... crazy that people wanted one so bad they were settling for 2gigs less just to have it right then and there.... I got a white 4gig after oohing and ahhing at the black.... simply because i know what my black razr and my psp look like after only a few months and what my 3g ipod looks like after nearly 2.5 years. the white won hands down... lol

I think if there had been all 4 gigs mostly in black, the nanos would all be sold out

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
It's not doing *that* bad. At least not the black one.

Amazon.co.uk
Top 100 Electronics & Photo

#4, iPod 20GB
#17, iPod nano 4GB Black
#28, iPod 60GB
#30, Creative Zen Touch 20GB
#34, iPod shuffle 512MB
#38, iPod shuffle 512MB
#56, Creative Zen Micro SE 5GB Dark Blue
#60, iPod nano 4GB White
#90, Sony NW-HD5 20GB Silver
#100, iPod nano 2GB White

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I find that article hard to believe, considering how long some of us are waiting before Apple even SHIPS our iPod Nanos. I had to wait 3 days before Apple shipped my nano, some people have waited 4 to 5 days without any engraving being done.

I think most people expected the stores to not receive their inventory right away (like myself) and did web orders right away.

The Mall of America store in Minnesota, didn't display their Nano's until Saturday September 10 (the same with Southdale in Edina MN), even though they received them and had them in stock on the 8th. How can people buy something they don't even know is in stock?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
EJBasile said:
I think the MP3 player market is a little flooded. Remember when the minis came out and everyone wanted their hands on one and it took 5-6 weeks to get one?

I think that was a supply v.s Demand issue. I think now Apple had higher demand expectations then they did with the Mini (having learned their lesson). I am sure after the word gets out more people will start buying them in droves.

Otherwise I will be one of the few in my area that has one :)

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
they are selling pretty well.
at amazon (us) the black 4GB is #7 of the audio/video list as a PRE-ORDER.
and according to forbes it might even exceed the high original expectations

note that the iPod family takes up 11/20 top spots.
the first non-ipod mp3palyer is the sandisk 256 at #29

DND82

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
dan-o-mac said:
I bought my white 4GB Saturday at the Apple store in Soho. I went back today to buy a black 4GB for my brother, all 4GB's were sold out black and white. I also tried Best Buy and CompUSA, they sold out also. All stores seem to have plenty 2GB's though, guess nobody wants 500 songs in their pocket.

I was at the Soho store on Friday around 5 and it was a mad house. All black 4GB were out.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
There are a few reports on the Web that Black is sold out in many places.. (makes me want a white one now)..

I have black, and love it.. I even have people comment on it at coffee shops when they see it. The crazy thing is, I don't openly display it, I tend to keep it in my pocket, and change songs at a low level mostly out of sight.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
OTOH investment firm Piper Jafray says nano sales are beating even Apple's "aggressive" sales predictions. They even reiterated their $60 AAPL target. Hmm. Could ATR (co. that said nano not selling well) be spreading anti-Apple? Hmm. It certainly doesn't reflect what I noticed last week. The ATR report also doesn't take online sales into account. In my opinion its a flawed anecodotal study. But the Apple and iPod bashers will grasp onto anything they can.

Link to article on Piper Jafray report

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
840quadra said:
The crazy thing is, I don't openly display it, I tend to keep it in my pocket, and change songs at a low level mostly out of sight.
Or so you want people to believe. :p

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
DND82 said:
I was at the Soho store on Friday around 5 and it was a mad house. All black 4GB were out.

Hmmm. After finding I love the nano more than my family (joke) I decided to sell my 2GB and upgrade to a 4GB as I'm going to be using this more than my big ipod on a daily basis.

My local Apple Store is completely out of the 4GBs in white and black.

Sales must be terrible. ;-)

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
All 4gb models are sold out in Regents street store London, no more 4gb's there until next week....They had loads at launch so they must have sold like hot cakes,

ShadOW

Hertog

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2005
Yes they are

A Dutch newpaper has a few hours ago posted an item stating that the new iPod is almost sold out. The 4 GB can, reportedly, not be found at any AppleStore in the US anymore.
But they also say that Apple has learned from the mistakes they made with the mini, they have one entire factory dedicated to making iPod nanos. This is probably why it seems to be doing worse than the mini.
And finally, they throw in the comment that Apples website has had the highest number of visitors ever after the introduction of the nano.

So I think the sales are doing quite allright :)

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
840quadra said:
I find that article hard to believe, considering how long some of us are waiting before Apple even SHIPS our iPod Nanos. I had to wait 3 days before Apple shipped my nano, some people have waited 4 to 5 days without any engraving being done.
A guy here at work (in the UK) ordered a black nano on Monday. He got it yesterday. Maybe it's just the US that has stock issues on deliveries.

Incidently Apple has started the hard sell over here. Full page ads in some of the papers (there's been one in the 'Metro' everyday the last few days) and on the London Underground (Subway). I haven't seen any TV ads but I don't watch that much TV.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Meanwhile on the US online store...

Attachments

• Bild 1.png
    Bild 1.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 76

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
caveman_uk said:
Incidently Apple has started the hard sell over here. Full page ads in some of the papers (there's been one in the 'Metro' everyday the last few days) and on the London Underground (Subway). I haven't seen any TV ads but I don't watch that much TV.

I was amazed that the Bullring Apple Store didn't have any promo material for the nano. I thought they'd have a few posters or something.

The only way you knew it was there was by the crowd of people standing round it! Oh and they had the media event playing on a 30 inch ACD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.