iPod nano using volatile memory???

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DND82, Sep 9, 2005.

1. DND82 macrumors member

After strolling around NYC after work to get a nano, I eventually ended up in Tekserve. Ofcourse they were sold out of the 4GB black, the one I wanted. I talked to someone working there that bought one and he said the nano uses volatile memory. Can anyone confirm this???

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

whoa i hope it doesn't. volatile memory destroys my Pocket PC. i just cant risk the battery going empty on me so i rarely use it away from a power supply.

why would it be volatile though? what's Apple's thinking behind it, i mean are there any benefits?

3. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

correct me if i'm wrong... is volatile memory memory that loses its data when the battery goes dead? i've seen some digital cameras like this (cheap) and i can't imagine apple would make an ipod with one. especially why they would start doing this with their second flash-based ipod, since they could've done it w/ the shuffle.

4. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

iPod Nano contains Flash Memory, which by definition, are non-volatile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

In any other case, Apple wouldn't use volatile memory in a 200$ MP3 Player. Come on people, it's an iPod! ;)

5. DND82 thread starter macrumors member

Don't get me wrong. I think it would be crazy for Apple to pull off such a move.

6. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

How about we all go to Paris and ask Steve Jobs about that at the Q&A session? :p He'll clear things up...

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

...as Steve Jobs has a mental "Melt Down," with the error message "System Crash." Trying to clear this one up. ;) :)

8. fyzle macrumors member

9. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Not "System Crash." but rather: "Kernel Panic... we're hanging here." :D