Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
bryantm3 said:
why? they were a fad because they came in so many colours. young girls and women were all over them. you had to have one, cos the pink 'is so cute!'. the fact that these only come in black and white, added with the fact that the shape isn't as appealing, leads me to believe that this won't be as successful. thoughts?

Yeah, but now they have BLACK and think of all the young boys and geeks all over them who have to have one cos the black 'is so hot!'.

All the little cybernerd boys will eat the black ones off the shelves and these are the kind of dorks that ALREADY HAVE AN IPOD!

I don't think Steve's sweating this one...

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
m-dogg said:
Ummm...wasn't the original ipod the first large capacity player that was truly portable? No one thought the original ipod was big until the mini came out...

There were flash players on the market already, those were really portable. The mini was the first HD based player that had the dimensions of a flash player. You don't stick an iPod in the pocket of your jeans, that's my point.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
bryantm3 said:
why? they were a fad because they came in so many colours. young girls and women were all over them. you had to have one, cos the pink 'is so cute!'. the fact that these only come in black and white, added with the fact that the shape isn't as appealing, leads me to believe that this won't be as successful. thoughts?
i think you don't know what you are talking about.

the most popular color was...omg silver?

so a couple of 11 year old girls won't buy it because it doesn't come in pink...but then their friends will get one, and all of the sudden they will need it regardless of whether or not it comes in pink.

then apple will sell them the pink cover (nano tube).

rejoice.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Apple will sell shedloads of Nano's. They fit into the iPod line up perfectly, and they're more robust than the iPod mini (important factor for schoolkids). And just for interest, here's one reason why they fit in perfectly....

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 112

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
stevep said:
And just for interest, here's one reason why they fit in perfectly....

What happens if you put the previous iPod Mini prices into that graph? Do they fit in so well, or were they a relative bargain in terms of £/GB? Maybe Apple wised up and tought they could charge more for less, so to speak.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
dops7107 said:
What happens if you put the previous iPod Mini prices into that graph? Do they fit in so well, or were they a relative bargain in terms of £/GB? Maybe Apple wised up and tought they could charge more for less, so to speak.

They definatly are not charging more for less as the Nano's cost far more to manufacture than iPod Mini's this is mainly due to:

-2 and 4gb Flash memory have you seen how expensive flash memory of that size is, far more than 4gb micro hard drives.
-Nano is smaller and has a colour screen, more expensive than mini's...

I can guarentee you that apple have a lower profit margin on the Nano than they had on the iPod mini,

ShadOW

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
shadowmoses said:
They definatly are not charging more for less as the Nano's cost far more to manufacture than iPod Mini's this is mainly due to:

[snip]

I neevr said they cost less to make. Evidently, given the price, the nanos cost more to make than an equivalent Mini. But my point remains: the customer is getting less for more. Unless you value sleekness, wow factor and a colour screen. Which I do, up to a point, but I personally would rather wait until £/GB decreases.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
dops7107 said:
I neevr said they cost less to make. Evidently, given the price, the nanos cost more to make than an equivalent Mini. But my point remains: the customer is getting less for more. Unless you value sleekness, wow factor and a colour screen. Which I do, up to a point, but I personally would rather wait until £/GB decreases.

I do value sleekness, wow factor and a color screen over the extra capacity, so for me the Nano is more attractive than the Mini. Personally my 1GB Shuffle is more capacity than I'll ever need; I mostly use my iPod in the car and only need enough songs to get me through my daily commute. The Nano will sell every bit as well as the Mini did, rest assured.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
for dops7107:
I really must get out more.........

Model £/Gb
Shuffle 512 138.00
Shuffle 1Gb 89.00
Nano 2Gb 69.50
Nano 4Gb 44.75
mini 4Gb 34.75
mini 6Gb 28.17
iPod 20 Gb 10.45
iPod 60Gb 4.98

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 82

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
stevep said:
for dops7107:
I really must get out more.........

Thanks! You saved me the bother ;) The Minis fit in the gap rather nicely, don't they? I suspect in time the gaps will be filled in by price shifting. I'm sitting on the fence for now :(

Don't worry, the fact that I wondered about it makes me just as nerdy.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
They do fit in the graph, but they're probably not really in the right sequence. If you look at the figures you'll see that the Nano is about 25% more expensive than the old mini (comparing the 4Gb model). Which ties in with the comments from Shadowmoses above re flash vs disk storage.
But then theres the colour screen factor as well.......(brain starting to hurt slightly now).

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
SummerBreeze said:
Funny enough, it was my little brother who cared the most about which color he wanted. After buying a pair of Seven jeans and other such designer clothes, he decided to get a pink iPod, because pink is the new fad with his slacker 15 year-old snowboarding friends. He was very disappointed when he could only get green, because that doesn't impress girls. It's a very fashion conscious world these high schoolers live in, and I definitely believe that guys care just as much as girls do (although they don't show it as much) because of the huge new pressure to be more metrosexual.

hate to tell you, has nothing to do with fashon or mextrosexual. your brother is gay

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
illegalprelude said:
hate to tell you, has nothing to do with fashon or mextrosexual. your brother is gay

I hope you were joking... That was sorta harsh. There's nothing wrong with being gay. He may not have had a choice. I've seen plenty of guys with the florescent pink Mini. That doesn't make them necessarily gay.

ok gotta run.. I have a train to catch...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
bryantm3 said:
the fact that these only come in black and white, added with the fact that the shape isn't as appealing, leads me to believe that this won't be as successful. thoughts?

3rd party skins in all sorts of colors will take care of that.. the nano in paisley!

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
chucknorris said:
Yikes, Mad Jew! I don't think Apple's even played that angle...

But, I really think that the Nano will be a smashing success. The whole superficial girls flocking towards the Mini is completely overblown, and hopelessly stereotypical.
I don't know about that, everyone I have girl who have told me about their Minis say they are cute and thats why they bought them. I ask how much music is on? Ohh just a couple CDs, about 3 hours. That is what I call a complete waste of money.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
In the past day I've seen an ipod nano commercial on TV and heard an ipod nano commecial coming from the mouth of Howard Stern.

They are advetising it far better then before... and for that reason I think they'll sell more. The commercials of dancing mac colors is gone... yay. :)

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
Colour nanos within 18 months. What are the odds?

Besides, I never liked the pink Minis and neither did anyone else I know.

Hay, I had a pink mini. If you ever got a scratch on it, it was hard to see. I got rid of it for $120 and bought some Xbox games

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Chef Medeski said:
I don't know about that, everyone I have girl who have told me about their Minis say they are cute and thats why they bought them. I ask how much music is on? Ohh just a couple CDs, about 3 hours. That is what I call a complete waste of money.

Its funny but i know some people with 20gb iPods who have filled like 700mb of it, and they don't intend to increase much, alot of people do not realise the true value of iPods they just buy them and load up a few albums,

ShadOW

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
bryantm3 said:

Your kidding right?

The nano is a bad name but they will outsell the mini.
Smaller form factor, no hard drive.

seriypshick

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2005
Everywhere
My sister likes nano

Before she wouldn't even look at mini. But after nano came out she can't stop talking about it; propably gonna buy it very soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.