Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noxos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
I've gotten conflicting answers on this from looking around the internet, but it looks like maybe only the nano is able to play mono output? Can someone confirm this for me please?

Unfortunately, I need to be able to connect to spotify and the nano can't connect to the internet right? Is there an ipod that can play mono output + connect to spotify?

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Silly question, but what happens when a mono track is played on any other ipod? I would have just assumed you would hear the same thing in both ears on all iPods. Or worst case I guess you might only hear it in one ear, but then if you used a mono headset you should be able to hear it in both ears....or there must be an adapter that would do that....

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
iPod Touch will do it.

I have an old 2nd gen rigged in to the (mono) PA system at work. It functions as our school bell system.

Noxos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Ok thanks guys. My only hesitation is isn't the touch meant to be more of complete multimedia thing? I wish there was a cheaper music only alternative that could still connect to spotify since I'm not interested in being able to play movies etc.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Ok thanks guys. My only hesitation is isn't the touch meant to be more of complete multimedia thing? I wish there was a cheaper music only alternative that could still connect to spotify since I'm not interested in being able to play movies etc.

Connecting to Spotify may as well count as 'multimedia'. So yeah, the Touch is your best bet. All other iPods are dedicated music players.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.