iPod newbie - song info

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by buckuxc, Jan 27, 2004.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

So I'm finally what has become, since last summer when i first wanted one, the iPod bandwagon. But I'm happy, so whatever. Now I'm just wondering, I got it today and used it quite a bit. I held off overspending temptation and settled with the 15GB (at least for now). Since I have slightly more than 15GB of music and haven't quite gotten around to perfectly tagging all of my songs yet (massive, long term project), I decided to rely on manually selecting songs, until I create a couple of good smart playlists.

Now to my question: does the updated song info (i.e., last played, play count, rating if i enter it on the iPod) get transferred to iTunes if it's on manual? After a quick check it doesn't seem so. Does it have to be on auto in some form to do this? or is there a manual way? Thanks.

sps

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's always transfered my ratings from the iPod to iTunes no matter if it's manual or automatic. It has to be the latest update of that song though. If the song in iTunes has been change in any way since the last time you put it on the iPod it will retain it's information in iTunes and not download the changes from the iPod.

3. NP3 macrumors regular

right, so if you have a smart play list on your iPod, and you change the ratings on a couple songs on iTunes, they will not update if you are in (at least) manual mode and the song is already on the iPod.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Even if you choose to automatically update or your perform the manual update. This is because you have changed the song in iTunes so it has a newer modification date then the date the song was put on your iPod.