iPod next gen?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Fahd, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Fahd macrumors regular

Anybody have any thoughts as to when the next gen of ipods will be released? and what features?

2. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Price drop, USB2 compatablity, Firewire 800, 60GB min(to compeate with the Creative nomad)

3. budaboy macrumors newbie

budaboy

I would like to see a complete digital wallet. Color LCD for viewing pictures, video playback. And of course the tunez as well. There already out on the market, suprised apple was not the first to incorporate all of these into one unit. Not sure what the compant name is of this type of unit, but I am sure one of our friendly mac heads will fill me in on this missing info.

4. riwanami macrumors member

Maybe it's the other way around: keeping the current storage space (15 to 40GB), but half the current casing size, drop in weight, improved battery life, LCD on the wired remote. ethernet or Wi Fi connection on the podium.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

improved battery life - will increase the size (either with a bigger battery or more RAM)

ethernet/wifi on the dock or the iPod itself? why?

i'd guess that they will either up the capacity to 20/30/50 or so, or keep the current line and drop the price by $50. given the previous history, i'd think the former is more likely to happen. i highly doubt a new form factor anytime soon.

6. riwanami macrumors member

Not necessarily, Apple can opt to use smaller hard drives which use up less power consumption.

Ethernet/WiFi on the podium for networked or wireless speakers.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

then it will be more expensive, take your pick.

8. riwanami macrumors member

Again, not necessarily. We're talking here about a "Next Generation" iPod. The specs I suggested may be more expensive to make now, but not when the technology improves. So my pick is same price (lower is better of course) and smaller size.

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

yes, eventually, iPod must evolve and what you said will probably happen, so i agree on those points.

i agree about the decreased size, longer battery life and lower price. those are universally good things. adding functions beyond being an mp3 player, however, is up to debate, as i happen to believe one of the best things about ipod is that its simplicity of being primarily an mp3 player and handling that function extremely well. (i know you didn't suggest that, but i'm now responding to the earlier posts...)

10. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Actually, the iPod already has USB2 compatiblity. All you need is the firewire + usb combo cable. I highly doubt it will start at 60 gigs because many people don't need near this amount and so don't want to pay the extra money for it. It might be realistic to bring the 20 gig to the 10 gig's price and so on.

11. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

All I have to say is that I hope Apple doesn't change the connectivity port on the bottom if they upgrade. I bought a 2nd Gen iPod and iTrip and then a few months later Apple releases the 3rd Gens that make my iTrip a waste of money, (BTW if anyone wants the original iTrip, I'll sell it to you for 25+shipping, PM me) I'm hoping to get the mic adaptor for Christmas, so I just hope that won't be a wasted purchase either.

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I think that apple should reintroduce cheaper 5gig ipods or at least keep the ten as most people dont have over that amount of music I have 2.8 gigs that I actually listen to and 8 gigs total for me geting a 20,40,60 gig ipod would be a waste of money im not saying apple should not produce larger capacity ipods but they should keep the low end too

13. niter macrumors 6502

I do not know if this is feasible, but i would like to see a removable battery. Something that is similar to a cell phone battery (but not as bulky). Or even a door so that one could get into the iPod easily and replace the battery. I know a lot of people that are hesitant to by the iPod would get it if that was possible.

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

15. sosumi macrumors member

All I want digital out and 5.1 support on iTMS. And yes, maybe a color screen if it doesn't hurt battery time too much.

16. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

USB2 compatibility is already available

17. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

I think the iPod and HD-based music players in general have already reached a plateau in terms of capacity. not many people want that much solely for music... yeah, it's got other functions, but why sell it as a music player at all? why not a hub for all types of files, from doc, video and recording, which the name iPod suggests... I think the next generation of iPod will have these features and there wil also be a new range lauched that is solely for music, that has to the next step...

what feeling of 'new' will another 20GB bring??? NOTHING!

15,000 songs in your pocket - now you can carry your whole library of music with you... eh, i could already do that with a 10GB one...

a colour screen is what i want to see... much the thomson lyra handheld multimedia device...

this would be a dream come true. this can't be all that difficult... that market must not be there though i guess.