iPod (non-mini) safe to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cybertron3, Dec 25, 2004.

1. cybertron3 macrumors member

Jul 31, 2003
    Is it safe to buy a 40GB iPod (non-mini, non-photo)? I know MWSF is coming up and iPod updates are due. Most rumors have gone twards flash based players. As I am not interested in those, is buying a 40GB in the next week a good idea? (it is this week or in two months as I am going over seas)
  2. jadam macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2002
    I would say it wouldn't be too bad of an idea, i fanything all they might change if they due change them is add a new insignificant feature here or there. I doubt they will introduce Sattelite radio iPods, if they do, Im going to go nuts as that means 1-2weeks of waiting until my school gets them at the school store!@!@

Im kind of in the same dilemma too, im going to be buying a new iPod, but I think im going to wait 2 weeks just in case, but for you 2 months, ubearable, get it now!
  3. greenleaf macrumors member

Dec 25, 2004
    i would def buy now...i dont think they are going to update the i
    pod anytime soon...they iPod photo just came out and all the people that just got them for christmas would be angry if 2 weeks after they got them Apple brings out some great new feature that makes theirs obsolete...so
    BUY NOW! :D
  4. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    iPod and iPod Photo are safe to buy mini is not.

I don't think Apple is going to change the click-wheel they are going to stick with it from now on end. :)
  5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    agreed. you can buy a non-mini "safely" right now.
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It was a good day to buy. Since it seems you're in Massachussetts, you might have a BJ's Wholesale Club account. They had the HP version of the 40 GB for $359, including a $20 instant rebate. That's quite a deal compared to the 20 GB which was $279, but needs a $39 dock to have the same equipment list or the typical Apple prices.
  7. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I would never buy a white iPod again that is until they make them in an Al or better made plastic casing. If they ever do that they should also improve the backlight- on mine when you turn on the backlight there are spots where the backlights do not shine which is incredibly annoying for me. According to Apple that problem is "completely normal". Another thing i have noticed is that when the backlight is on the screen sort of blinks i guess you would say- but very very fast but its noticable. I have found myself to be a connoisseur of iPod now that i'm on my 3rd iPod in exactly 1 year yesterday (dec 26).

Hopefully the Photo ipods have better LCD/backlight quality control. Don't get a b/w screen one.
  8. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
  9. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    I must say this is one thing Apple is horrible about. I bought a Powerbook G4 12" awhile back and there was a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. I had to bug them for weeks to give in and give me a replacement. So when I went to buy a 15" Powerbook, I made them test it in front of me first. Sure enough, there was a dead pixel in not one but the FIRST TWO that I looked at. Then, my 20GB 4G iPod would just pause randomly from the headphones being moved around while plugged in (not unplugged or anything must moving around) and they said that was not a defect either. Finally I proved that my battery was only holding 8 hours of charge and not the 10-12 as promised and THEN I got a replacement. The backlight on mine has no dead spots or anything, but my first one was a mess. My advice, test things out in the store before you buy them if you have an Apple store nearby. :mad: