iPod not being recognized on iBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cleo, Apr 2, 2005.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2002
    Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
    I'm selling my 3G iPod to finance an iPod photo (or, if I have self-control, to make a dent in my credit card bill). I haven't used it in a couple of months, and in the meantime I've had to have the HD on my iBook replaced (I'm not sure if that would factor into my problem). I need to wipe all the songs off and restore the factory settings, but when I plug in the iPod (with or without the dock), nothing happens. It doesn't show up on the desktop or in iTunes. (Although when I put it in the dock I did hear the little chimes.) The battery on the iPod is close to drained... would that cause the problem, and if so, should I try recharging through the AC adapter first? I'm quite confuzzled... any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. rccola70 macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2004
    Have you tried going to Disk Utility (Application>Utilities) and see if that recognizes it? If disk utility does, then try Repair Disk or maybe even wipe everything again with iPod Updator.
  3. john1123 macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2005
    Down Under
    i had a problem similar to yours (except the power bit) with my shuffle. not even disk utility would recognize it! the iPod updater, however did.
  4. thezanman macrumors newbie

Mar 30, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I had a problem like that as well, ended up being the cable. Take it to your local Apple store/friends house and see if thats what it is, Apple will glady replace it assuming its still under warrenty.