Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pablo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Texas
I've been using my iPod with my Powerbook an other Macs fine. Now I'm trying to hook it up to a Windows XP box to transfer some files between the machines.

When I connect the firewire cable, I get the following error:

This iPod needs to be reformatted for use on your PC. Click on the Update button below to run the iPod Updater application that will allow you to reformat or restore your iPod.

It shows the filesystem as CDFS. I don't want to reformat (and lose all my songs, calendar, contact, and other data), but want to be able to have Windows see it as a hard drive.

What can I do?

Do I need something like XPLAY?

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
windows won't read the iPod because it's been formatted with a Mac filesystem. to have a cross-platform iPod, you'll need to reformat it from a windows machine. there may be some software solution out there, but i'm not familiar with any... ask around before you reformat.

stoid

macrumors 601
I'm pretty sure that Mac OS X can handle windows file format, so you can back up your data on the Mac, format Windows, then you wouldn't be platform dependent.

Windows is all about choice right? The choice to use Microsoft!

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Or, if you download a program called MacOpener (or something like that), it will simply see the iPod as an external hard drive. That sounds more like what you were looking for anyway.

nargot

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Australia
deputy_doofy said:
Or, if you download a program called MacOpener (or something like that), it will simply see the iPod as an external hard drive. That sounds more like what you were looking for anyway.

need to format, you can rescue your files if they are only on the ipod (bad thing if so, cause ipod drives are a fickle lot) using a program like ipod access to copy your files to the mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.