iPod now, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CubaTBird, Jun 12, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

In a week im gettin' a ibook/ipod combo. Seeing that WWDC is in like 2 weeks, I figure ipod updates are soon. But then wait, people waited a year for a G5 and it wasn't what they were expecting. So, do you guys think that if new ipods do come, that they will totally be new, or just a bump in storage. I am totally happy with the 15 GB model. No complaints there... I just want to get the ibook /ipod together so I can finance them as one bill per-month. ;)

2. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I am wondering the same thing. I need more space for backing up/transferring files than my 15GB iPod can offer, so I am faced with the dilemma of buying a 40GB now, and then a month or two down the road having the 4th-gen iPod come out with like a 60GB capacity for the same price. Blech, I know that toshiba recently pissed off apple by announcing a new 60GB version of the HD used in the iPod, which apple has already ordered, so its only a matter of time. I wish i knew :confused:

3. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

Face change?

Then theres the fact that we don't know if apple will update the design of the ipod also. I don't know about you, but I doubt they will give it a smilar scroll wheel like the ipod mini has. They have to someway make the two different from each other. :confused:

4. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I could see apple bringing the look of the mini to the regular iPod; the rounded sides but flat top and bottom, maybe keep the iPod one colour, white will do. Add a mini-style clickwheel but add backlighting to the buttons. Colour screen, ability to view photos and videos. They could make it so great :D

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The advice from the magic 8-ball, er, make that the MacRumors Buyer's Guide, is "Buy only if you need it - approaching the end of a cycle". iPod updates have averaged every 161 days in the past, and as of next Tuesday it will have been exactly 161 days since the last previous iPod update. You're just playing the odds, but a well-informed guesser would be wise to wait.

6. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

Hehe

You know whats going to be funny, if the iPod does get updated but like it gets updated like the G5'd did. With little fan fare. Instead just storage bumps on some random Tuesday and thats about it. :eek:

7. Angelus macrumors 6502

Personally, i would say to wait til wwdc cos it's only two weeks which isnt that long,unless of course you need the ipod right now.
    Updates could be significant especially when you consider the release of HP ipod version. Apple may want to update their own player so it is different from the HP version.

8. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

HP, oh yeah...

Whatever happend to that HP player that was announced like a year ago? It just sort of went away, yes? :confused:

9. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

Waterproof

I got it! The 4th gen ipods will be waterproof! Steve will say something like "we got many customers asking us to be able to take their music to the pool, they want to swim underwater with it", "and let me show you a demo now" Then a big tank moves up from under the stage floor, Steve jumps in with the new ipods and seen bobing his head underwater to bob dylan. LOL! :p

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Though it does seem like Apple is extending the cycles a bit. Even so I would suggest waiting at least 30 to 45 days for an updated iPod.

11. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

At least wait till the Keynote, it won't kill you to wait less than 2 weeks.