ipod on desktop but not in itunes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by allan_zip, May 1, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

allan_zip

I'm having a bit of trouble with my ipod (1st gen 5gb, firmware uptodate, itunes uptodate), I have it set to manual update as my preference. Nearly everytime i plug it in, it shows up on the desktop but not on itunes. A wiggle of the firewire used to fix it and sometimes it dosn't happen at all. I can't think it would be a problem with the cable as the ipod shows up on the d'top instantly. I've restored and reformatted a number of times but the problem persists.
    Anyone got a diagnosis for my ailment?

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There was a known issue with your iPod and iTunes. If you are running 10.3 (as your signature implies) then...
    1. Unplug your iPod.
    2. Paste /System/Library/Extensions into the Go To Folder window (in Finder, it's in the Go menu appropriately).
    3. Delete a file named iPodDriver.kext (you'll need to enter your password to do this).
    4. Reinstall the 10.3.9 Combo update.
    5. Restart.
    6. Play with your iPod.

Hopefully this'll work for you. Good luck. :)

3. thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

Just tried that out. Now my ipod dosn't even show up on the desktop. I plug it in and it just sits at "ok to disconnect".:confused:

Edit: It's just told me i've inserted a disc with no volumes that osx can read. !?!

4. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is the new iPodDriver.kext file located at /System/Library/Extensions now?

Also, does iPod Software Updater recognise your iPod?

By the way, I found a link on the Apple Support pages that outlines the method I gave before. It adds a bit more information though. Just thought you might be interested. :)

5. thread starter macrumors regular

allan_zip

I was getting some very strange behaviour there. iTunes said it was not a disc that could be read by osx, then a minute or two later it recognised it and crashed the system while i was updating my ipod. I restarted and reset and then my ipodupdater said i needed to update my software which it did (very strange given that i've been on 1.5 for ages now!?). It's recognising now, but i don't know why. Oh yeah that file is back in the same folder i originally ditched it from prior to the os combo update. Wish i knew what was up, but it seems to be working now. Cheers.

6. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries. I'm glad it's all working now. You had me worried that I'd completely messed up your iPod. :eek:

7. macrumors 68000

sam10685

my brother has a 5th gen... he usually ejects it but when he's on the way out the door, he just yoinks it. it seems fine. i tried to disable disk use in itunnes preferences but the box is greyed out and i can't disable it. what can i do? i don't even know how disk use works.

oops. wrong thread. sorry... i'm tired.

8. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

sam10685, if the iPod is set to have its songs manually managed, then the Enable Disk Usage box will be checked and greyed out. There is no way to change this without making the iPod automatically synchronise with either the library or selected playlists instead of being manually handled. :)