Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Tons for our University if the iPhone or iPod runs Mac OS X and can be used as a remote control for full native Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. That is, the ultimate ultraportable handheld computer for wireless presentations.

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Sonos is ribs

Sonos (http://www.sonos.com/) already makes a wireless audio system similar to how I hope an iPod could control a media server to deliver content to a stereo or TV. The nice thing about Sonos' product in contrast to using just a simple iTunes remote (like Salling Clicker) is that there is true multi-zone support. Multiple audio sources can be streamed simultaneously, and each source can stream to multiple destinations.

Sonos is amazing, and very reasonably priced considering the feature set, ease of use and reliability, but if the next iPod is a phoneless iPhone that can control iTunes by WiFi, combined with Airport Express access points it can become a formidable competitor.
Salling Clicker almost does the job, but unfortunately iTunes does not allow its output to be switched by AppleScript, which somewhat limits the functionality.

rbroady

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
i mentioned this before but can this open up the option of streaming music from your computer to your ipod?

what if this could be done thru wifi from anywhere

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
What if they built some sort if IR wand that plugged into an Airport Express or Airport Extreme?

My Airport Express is obviously always near the rest of the AV kit.

Sounds like a cool idea but maybe a bit niche for Apple?

voicegy

macrumors 65816
The possibilities seem to be endless with remote technology - I just wish that I could find a universal remote that is Wi-Fi, IR AND Radio Signal capable.

I'm stuck with a Bose home system that uses radio signals - nice, because you don't need line of sight. My plasma is, of course, IR. And I have Wi-Fi in the house. One controller for all of that would be outstanding.

In the meantime, I'm very pleased with a little product I found that let's me control the iTunes content on my home computer over WiFi via the iPhone. Pretty sweet!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/329820/

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
There are Universal Remotes out there that cost more than an 8 Gig iPhone.

You can google and see... here's one example: link

So, there is price precedent for devices in the iPod - iPhone range.

I would like to see the iPhone evolve to include truly Universal remote control capability:

1) add programmable IR capability to the iPhone so it can control Apple TV as well as TV, Stereos, etc.

While the #1 issue here is lack of PHYSICAL buttons (there are high-end universal remotes with no physical buttons too, but they suck IMHO), and severely small proven market here, this is still an excellent idea. I need to be able to hit the pause and mute buttons without looking at the remote!

HOWEVER, for talking with my other equipment, I'd strongly prefer they use the :apple:TV's USB port to hook up an IR pulse squid (ie, multiple IR transmitters, to be placed in front of your sttereo equipment so they can "see" the IR ports) instead of putting this on the iPhone/iPod. I mean, I don't want to have to be in the same room to control my stereo, and I also don't want to have to hold the iPod and aim at specific equipment for it to work. Plus, this setup would allow extension of different equipment types (RF of course, X10 perhaps) with the change-out of a dongle on the :apple:TV, not a complete iPod/iPhone replacement.

Personally, I own a ~$200 (when bought a few years back; I think I saw it for $89 earlier this year) remote control, which is great. But, still, my wife hates it because the interface to it is very ... ummm ... techy. Also, many of the newer devices we've tried using it with (DirecTV DVR, for instance) include buttons it is incapable of "learning" (and I hadn't spent the extra $75 to get the one with a PC connection because I'm a stingy dumb-ass). You know how irritating it is to use a DVR's menu when the "left" button (and ONLY the "left" button!) doesn't work? It sucks, let me tell you! Were the iPhone/iPod really just a "dumb" front-end to the :apple:TV, all the "learning" would happen there instead, and would be easily upgraded for new devices without having to dump an expensive remote in the landfill.

2) add power-line interfaces to apple's plugged-in devices (Computers, Apple TV, iPod Hi-Fi, iPod/iPhone Chargers/Adapters/Docks, etc.). These devices could be part of a power-line network where all devices are monitored and controlled, and intelligent devices can perform the Monitor & Control functions.

How is this superior to WiFi?

Is there any ongoing development effort on power-line networking?

3) Offer a new product a mass storage (media) server

The iPhone in your hand could display a custom keyboard for each specific task:

[...]

Which is the beauty part of it all. The iPhone just needs a nice AJAX-ish screen displaying what the :apple:TV tells it to, so you'd be able to add new functions here really really easily, and even (should apple chose to do so) allow user customizations (officially or as a hack).

The Telekenesis iPhone Remote provides proof of concept of much of the above:

The primary roadblock there is that Telekenesis is not a "first class" iPhone app. It's got the deck stacked against it. However, I would hope Apple would use it as an idea source for their own implementation.

ricosuave

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
In front of my mac
Has anyone used the latest remote buddy on their iPhone? It would be nice to hear some first hand comments.

I've tried it and it works pretty sweet. I can browse all my music on the mac and a click of the screen starts playing your selection. It has a cool monitoring page to see the desktop of your mac. You can click on items on the mac and it even has drag-and-drop capabilities.

If this patent means what I think it means, then I would be able to FINALLY control my :apple:TV with my iPhone anywhere around the house. It is very inconvenient to walk up to the front of the television (and turn it back on) just to make changes in music when my :apple:TV is playing tunes around my multiple room speaker system.

stompy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Has anyone used the latest remote buddy on their iPhone? It would be nice to hear some first hand comments.

I've tried it and it works pretty sweet. I can browse all my music on the mac and a click of the screen starts playing your selection. It has a cool monitoring page to see the desktop of your mac. You can click on items on the mac and it even has drag-and-drop capabilities.

If this patent means what I think it means, then I would be able to FINALLY control my :apple:TV with my iPhone anywhere around the house. It is very inconvenient to walk up to the front of the television (and turn it back on) just to make changes in music when my :apple:TV is playing tunes around my multiple room speaker system.

Good to hear, I was amazed to see everything they've done in such a short time. Thanks for the feedback.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
Seems to me apple are going after the Sonos/Squeezebox market.

The big advantages those 2 products have over AppleTV is that they have excellent remote controls, you can control the Squeezebox from any web enabled device, including the iPhone already.

With Apple TV you have to have your TV on for selecting tracks which rather sucks.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area

How is this superior to WiFi?

Is there any ongoing development effort on power-line networking?

Advantages of power-line networking:

1) you can inexpensively monitor and control devices like appliances, freezers, air conditioners, lights, etc. that do not have WiFi.

2) It will work where/when no WiFi is available... I lose WiFi about twice a week for 15-20 minutes. (I have ATT DSL and Comcast Cable & at times both are unavailable).

Yes, there is ongoing development... there is this little company called Echelon

http://www.echelon.com/

that was founded some years ago by someone named Mike Markkula...

Echelon recently announced an arrangement with McDonalds....

http://www.qsrweb.com/article.php?id=8108&prc=66&page=58

I bought some Echelon stock ELON last August for $8.03...

It closed today at $22.45 (a 179% paper profit)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
patents transfer with legal changes

I wonder how this works in regards to rights etc:

It mentiones "Apple Computer Inc", while the name has been changed to Apple Inc.

How would a name change affect a patent application, or existing patents?
:apple:

It's not an issue at all.

When one company acquires a second company, the ownership of all the second company's patents transfer to the buyer. (In fact, sometimes the value of the patents is key to the buyer's desire to make the purchase.)

A legal name change for a company would have no affect on the patents owned by that company.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Why do we keep getting patent applications from years back?

The reason is that patent apps are not published for at least 12-18 months from their filing date. So there's a ton of other Apple patent apps floating around the PTO that have been filed up to 18 months ago put not yet published.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.