iPod or iPod mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rbro, Jan 13, 2004.

1. rbro macrumors member

OK, after going to Macworld and getting my new Powerbook G4 (yeah!) I've decided I need to get an iPod as well. Luckily I have enough Amex reward points to get one! Now here are a few questions:

1. Should I get the mini or the old school one? What does the mini have that the old one does not? The size and color are not really issues for me.

2. I read that the iPod battery lasts only 18 months and can not be replaced, is that true? Check out http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

3. What's the best FM transmitter I can get for it and how well do they work? How's the quality?

Thanks in advance!

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well. if size and color don't matter, and you have a decent amount of music, get a regular iPod. even if you don't have more music than the mini iPod can hold, you may someday, and trust me, having the thing will make you want to rip more and more CDs.

Secondly, i hate that website. Apple offers a battery replacement program. $99 will get you a new battery, or you can install one yourself for $49. But the battery certainly lasts longer than 18 months, that's misinformation. It's rated for about 500 cycles, which is about 4-5 years under moderate use. If you use it every day, for 8 hours, and recharge it every night, than 18 months may be more accurate-- but if you do that, you should expect the battery to give out sooner. No rechargable battery lasts forever, they all do this.

Lastly... FM transmitters aren't perfect, but they're great if it's the only way to get music into your car stereo. It's not the quality that you'll get with cables, but you're in a car, and quality isn't usually as important there. the iTrip by Griffin is the best, in that changing the station is done through the iPod itself... and it doesn't require any external power. Plus it looks cool.

paul

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

That depends on how much music you currently have and to accept that probably in the near future a mini iPod will not be able to hold your entire library albeit you are able to create smart playlists so you only take 4GB or less worth. It really depends on you whether you want to spend the additional $50 for the 15GB iPod or not. As for an FM transmitter I'm not entirely sure. I've heard rave reviews about the Griffin iTrip and I've heard that it's difficult to get a clear signal depending on your location (i.e. buildings/other radio stations interfering). I'm guessing some kind of cassette deck adapter (if you even have a cassette deck) would be the safest bet. If not, gamble with an FM transmitter.

4. rbro thread starter macrumors member

So is it safe to say that the only advantage of the mini is a slightly lower price, it's smaller and you can get it in different colors? There are no second generation improvements or anything like increased battery life or anything else?

5. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Wait for the flood of reviews to come after the 16th, but it is unlikely that the mini will have any significant advantages besides size.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well check Apple's site for the comparison.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

Apple claims 8 hours for both iPod and mini although it's a rather generous claim depending on usage. The current 2.1 firmware update has been rather flaky in terms of displaying accurate if ball park figures in regards to the battery meter. I purchased a 3rd generation 20GB iPod the day after Xmas full knowing that it was possible that Apple would revamp the current iPod lineup if not add. My only qualm was the included carrying case does not have a clear front so you're forced to take the iPod out everytime you want to access the controls must less look at what is playing. It seems the mini's included carrying case clips onto the back of the mini, much like a cell phone which I like. Ahh well, in any case, whichever one you choose, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with. I know I am. :)

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's hard to say until someone other than SJ has one in their hands. At this point none of the 3rd party peripherals work with the mini, so if that's a concern for you look to the original iPod.

8. lind0834 macrumors regular

FM Transmitters.

In my experience with FM Transmitters, it doesn't matter to much which one you have if you are using it in your car, I'd suggest you spend some extra money and get a cheap stereo with a line-in or tape player to use the tape adapter.

Digital Transmitters are nice because they are solid state, and easier to set up. Unfortunatly, some Digital Tuners are not always on the same exact signal as a Digital Transmitter and it can cause some problems.

Analog Transmitters are good because you can fine tune the signal.. but occasionally they can change on thier own. Unfortunaly, most Transmitters are not built for fine tuning.

The Biggest problem with Transmitters is finding an empty signal to set it to so you don't get interference. When traveling cross-country that means finding a new frequency every hour or less. If you are in some cities, Milwaukee comes to mind, there were so many stations, and static on so many frequencies that it was very difficult.. but that was years ago.