Ipod...or no...?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Surreal, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Surreal macrumors 6502a

Okay, i bought a shuffle to tithe me over until i could afford a "real ipod," but after running 3 of them (my headphones have a straight connector made of metal" ie no give) i got tired of the apple store (i think the store is the only REALLY bad part of the apple experience right now the NY store SUCKS for service) and sold my shuffle at a loss. :(

now, my library is at 33 gigs at 320 aac encoding right now (i wanted lossless, but there isnt TOO much of an audible differece and my hardrive is not large.) so the 60 is my only real choice, but i dont have the money right now (i will in a month or two) but i friggin NEED a music player. i can go without but i will be edgy until i have a player.

so, the 6gb silver mini is lookin REAL nice right now for 200-230 dollars but i would just end up buying 60 later.

i am weak.

EDIT: aaah, i meant to put somewhere in there my concern for how long it might be till a hard drive bigger than 60 is available. i'd like to get more than my music on there (backups are our friend)

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I would get out of lossless. You aren't going to be able to hear the difference like you said. How many songs do you have. ALos I don't think Apple is going to go much higher than 60 gigs, especially anytime soon. Apple will just keep piling on the features.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's been a 1.8 inch 80GB hard drive out for at least six months as far as I know but Apple hasn't incorporated it into the iPod line for reasons best known by them. Still, none of the iPods currently fit my music and certainly not any back ups to accompany them.

My advice is to just get a sufficient amount of space for the music you want to play on the go. Remember, you can sync different songs each time if you like. :)

Also, isn't the mini dead?

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, another option would be to create a second library of 160kbps VBR AAC copies of your music for use with the ipod... 33gbs at 320 would be about 17gb at 160, so you could fit it into a 20gb model. You will still get the high quality while at home, you'll just have to sacrifice on the quality while on the road. There's an iTunes script that let's you keep two separate libraries on your computer at once, and switch between the two with a menu click. There's a link posted to it in a thread I started a few days ago about bitrate qualities.

I personally am almost glad I have such poor/damaged hearing. I can't hear the difference from 96kbps AAC VBR and lossless, so a 4gb mini (soon to be nano :) ) is pretty decent for me. ALMOST worth it...

5. Must.Get.nano! macrumors regular

Must.Get.nano!

Patience my friend patience... you'll get your iPod in 2 months.

iPaul

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

What's that supposed to mean? :confused:

7. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Well rumours are that we'll see an iPod update in early Oct if you believe some sources... a source with a short but interesting track record with the nano. :)

8. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Do you have anymore info on this? I know Toshiba announced such a drive at the end of last year, but was not expected to ship until Q3 2005. Is anyone else making one?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think we're probably talking about the same thing. I thought it was released but maybe it was just announced. Sorry to get any 80GB iPod hopes up. :eek: