iPod or RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by meepm00pmeep, Sep 24, 2006.

1. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

well, my 3G iPod went bye-bye recently and i'm about to buy a MBP, but i have to debate on whether to get more RAM or get a iPod nano (black)...

i have more use for the RAM seeing as i use processor/RAM intensive programs, but i do need an iPod also...

any suggestions?

2. Sawtoothdude macrumors regular

3. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

uhh, how much ram is going to come with it? 512 or 1GB? if it's 1GB then i'd get an iPod, which is what i'm about to do. if it's 512, i'd go with the RAM.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

iPod. You can at least use your MacBook Pro, even if it isn't BLISTERINGLY fast at first.

I just bought an 80gb iPod, and I couldn't be happier! :D

5. meepm00pmeep thread starter macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

it'll come with at least 1GB RAM... yah, still debating this... i have until Tuesday to make my choice so, let's see...

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

iPod iPod iPod!!!!!! Believe me, you won't be disappointed!

[​IMG]

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

if you're going to have a gig already, then i'd opt for the iPod.

if it were going to be coming with only 512, then i'd definitely opt for RAM first. just my 2 cents.

8. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

i agree, ipod is deffinately the way to go in this case. :)

9. meepm00pmeep thread starter macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

great, thanks for the input everybody... yah i'll go for the 8GB nano then... :D

10. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Good call :D

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You said you're going to use proc and RAM intensive tasks, so you buy an iPod? How is this smart? :confused:

My laptop has 1.5 GB of RAM in it, and with some programs being run under Rosetta (Adobe PS, MS Word), it needs RAM. I need more RAM running Adobe Lightroom Beta 3 and several other apps at the same time.

I think that 1GB of RAM is ok for most common tasks, but you didn't get a MBP for common tasks, did you? Get ready to use a slow computer for awhile.

12. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

My vote goes for ram. Get as much as you can, and then save up for an iPod.

13. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I say RAM - if you're doing proc-intensive work, you'll need it a lot more than you need an iPod.

14. meepm00pmeep thread starter macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

you have a great valid point there... damn, i might just go for the RAM and then get the iPod for Christmas instead... you're right

15. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Yeah, unless it is absolutely necessary to have the iPod, I would stick with the RAM. If you bought a Macbook PRO, then you're probably going to be doing some intensive work, and more RAM is definitely going to be suitable for you.

I have 1.25GB of RAM in my Macbook, and it is fine for what I do; web browsing, iSuite, and some light indesign and photoshop. But when I have both of those Adobe apps open, my RAM nearly runs out.

Then again, I know music is REALLY important to some people, so if you really want an iPod, get it. What computer are you upgrading from? If it's an older computer, I'm sure you'll notice a significant speed bump even with only a gig of RAM.

Also, I suppose you are waiting for possible MBP updates Tuesday, correct?

16. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

If you have 1GB ram, go for the iPod.

Unless if those ram-intensive applications are for work. Then it's wants vs. needs. If it's for gaming, also go for ram, since you can't afford loss of speed for that.

That being said, you could get both. 2GB nano and the ram is just a little bit more than the 8GB nano if I remember right. Or maybe a 1G 4GB nano with the ram.