Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Eyed Gal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
Hi, I have a huge problem, it is driving me crazy! When I download a compilation cd onto my ipod it will have every artist in my library and it takes me forever to thumb through them all. What I am wondering is if I can make a playlist of a cd and then not have that artists name in my library. So, just having the song listed in playlist but nowhere else. I hope that makes sense and I hope someone has an answer. THANK YOU!

Lord Sandwich

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
Are you referring to the Compilation tag in iTunes? If I remember correctly, that feature doesn't carry over to your iPod. So if you have a lot of CDs with multiple artists (like a movie soundtrack), you end up cluttering your iPod's Artists menu with a whole bunch of names.

My solution to the problem was this:

1. Remove the Compilation tag from all my files.
2. Copy the Artist field -> Composer field for every song in the library (http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/ has Applescripts that do this automatically).
3. Rename the Artist field in all compilation-style albums to "Various Artists".
4. Change my Smart Playlists that look in the Artist field to look in the Composer field instead.

This way, I can scroll through the Artists menu in my iPod and have all the compilations under the name "Various Artists", but my smart playlists will still find any specific artist's songs listed there.

Hope this helps.

Edit: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html has a terrific free tag editor for Windows, too. Just make sure you back up your AAC-encoded files before doing any mass-conversions, because it used to corrupt my files sometimes. Works much better now though!

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
The only way I can think of would be to put the songs into a playlist and then delete the artist name from each of the songs - and maybe then re-add the artist name at the beginning of the song title if you want. That way they won't show up in your library but they'll still be in the playlist.

Konradx

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Toronto, Canada
i have the same problem..i only have full albums..i dont download just one song...but their is an exception..i have a HUGE archieve of one hit wonders and 80's music all in one folder...is there way to have itunes or my ipod have it in ONE folder under 80s and have the rest of my full albums on the same list? or will it do what i think it will and give me 600 folders for each song

Blue Eyed Gal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
Thank You

Thank You Lord Sandwich! Great Advice! It worked! Thank you so much!:) :)
Also, Thank you Alex ant for your helpful info too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.