iPod Owners...did you use up your 5 Gig's?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by resm, Feb 7, 2002.

iPod owner's...did you use up your 5 Gig's ?

1. yeahhh.....and I want MORE Gig's !!!

12 vote(s)
  2. nope....and still a long way to go

11 vote(s)
  3. yesss....and it's enufff for me

7 vote(s)
  4. yes, and I want more but only if I have more flexibility

1 vote(s)
  1. resm macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2002
    do we realy need more then 5 Gig's just for music?

I got an iPod brought to me by Santa last christmas. I use it for downloading all my CD's I have collected over time and not as an external hard drive.

Yet...until now I haven't filled up my 5 Gig's because I rather want to load some new music once in a while then to fill it up and then not listening to halv of the titles anyway. Besides I am one of the normal human beeings that have to work for a living so the time I can listen to my music on my iPod is limited.
    Filling 5 Gig's on the iPod also means using up the same amount on the computer's hard drive.

I know the rumors are more then ripe that an updated iPod with 10 Gig's (or maybe more?) is on the way. Do we realy need that?

Unless there will be a way to download 10 Gig's into the iPod and then deleted on the computer without having everything deleted on the iPod when connecting to iTune again, I would be hesitant to use up more then 5 Gig's of my hard drive just for my music titles.

Why can't they make the iPod in such a way that we can delete on the iPod itself and then just ad on new titles from iTune and have the option to load the iPod content back to iTune ?

What's your opinion ?
  2. bond2 macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2002
    800 Songs!!

I have put about 800 of my favorite songs on the iPod, as well as all my warez!! I still have 670mb left over for new songs. I have over 9 gigs of mp3's on my HD but more than half of them I wouldn't listen to very often. Just spend a few hours and really clean out your iPod and put songs you'll really listen to over and over on it. No need to back up a whole CD on the iPod if only 3 songs are good on it. Back up CD's on your HD. Just my thoughts. Also make alot of great playlists, break up your lists into say Rock, Rap, Hip-Hop, Slow Grooves...whatever.....its also cool to make playlists of some of your favorite Mixes that you have burned over the past few years.
  3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

Nov 28, 2001
    down in Fraggle Rock
    i dont have an ipod but i think the main function i would have for one would be as a data shuttle. i think it would be nice to have a system on there with all my disk utilities installed (norton, techtool diskwarrior, etc) so i could easily boot from it and maintain a large number of computers easily. plug in run a maintenance script and move on to the next. the mp3 storage is just a perk as far as im concerned... but i didnt buy one.
  4. Ouroboros macrumors member

Jan 30, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yup I completely filled the space with MP3's - I have one of those FM transmitters and take it everywhere. In the car, in my pocket. I think the best cases made for it are at Waterfield Designs, havent' gotten the case yet, but it looks the best. I wish those FM transmitters pumped a bit more power though! I would cetainly believe it or not like a 10 gig one, AND I'd LOVE the ability to record!!! That would be the greatest thing in the world!
  5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Can someone buy me one?

Not all who wander are lost.
  6. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2001

1.5 gig of MP3s, the rest for data storage. Have filled it up once, but not at this moment. AND I STILL LOOOOOOOVVVVEEEEEE IT!!! :p
  7. Timothy macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Different perspective...

Perhaps prior to really diving into MP3's I would have questioned why anyone would need more than 5 gigs of space on an MP3 player. Now that I have converted most of my listening to MP3's, I can totally understand needing more than that...much more! ;-)

When Apple released iTunes, I converted my entire CD collection to MP3. I have around 11 gigs of MP3s on a dedicated hard drive. Now, that's all I listen to. Having my entire music collection in one place, and then being able to "shuffle" between the entire collection is great. It is like having my very own radio station that plays nothing but exactly what I want. Now I don't have to think about which albums to load...they are all loaded all the time. This has fundamentally changed the way I listen to music.

So...when the iPod was released, I bought one. Suddenly, I had to choose again. Which albums to load, which to delete...back to the decision-making process. Knowing that Toshiba, who manufactures the drive in the iPod, has now released a 20 gig version of the drive, I sold my iPod in anticipation for the next version.

5 gigs was nowhere near enough space! ;-)
  8. michealk macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2002
    Oh yeah, our iPod was outclassed the minute we brought it home. We've got a collection of approximately 20 gigs of MP3s (all legit even, from my DJ days), and iTunes wouldn't even attempt to sync it :)
  9. chmorley macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2002
    Denver, CO
    MP3's, a startup volume, and...

Still plenty left. I have my favorite CD's, my favorite songs off CD's I don't really like, and some other singles. I am a musician and and have a "real" job, so I don't have time to listen to all the music I love. I envy the people who have had the time to rip their entire CD collections, but I can't even fathom it. With over 1500 CD's and only a 30 gig hard drive...you do the math.

On my iPod, I have all the music I could reasonably listen to within 6 months and still have room for a boot volume. I use it to run Norton Utilities regularly.

That being said, when the 10 gig one comes out, my wife will love her 5 gig iPod. ;)