iPod Patent theft by Sonos?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Jovian9, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet. In the November issue of Wired there is an ad for a music player which has a very similar wheel on it....it looks almost exactly like the iPod wheel. I thought I had read somewhere that Apple had patented that technology so no other music players could use it. Here is the link:

http://www.sonos.com/

If it is patented this seems like an issue that needs to be brought up.

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

3. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

I don't know, its a browsing wheel. The idea isn't really Apple's. Maybe if it was touch sensitive, but if it's just a wheel, I don't think that's Apple's property.

Attached Files:

4. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I dont think Apple jacked the patent, especially since Im sure if Apple wanted it it could easily buy the rights.

5. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I'm quite certain Apple has the patent for scroll wheel... touch, mechanical, or otherwise.

6. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

That's what I thought. I think I had read that they had the patent from a thread here dealing with some other mp3 player that tried to use a similar scroll wheel......can't find a link though.

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

When Apple saw this device he commented that it likely violated on Apple's patents. From the Wall Street Journal:

link (paid membership required).

It's pretty old news, the device was announced the same time as the Airport Express - great timing there! It looks promising but is way too expensive, likely to violate patents and has been pre-release for so long I don't think it's ever going to see the light of day.