iPod PC -> Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacBandit, Oct 18, 2002.

1. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I was wondering if it is at all possible to get a PC iPod to work on a Mac?

The reason I ask is that I work for a BMW Motorcycle retailer and BMW Motorcycles has a promotion on one of the bikes right now where if you by the bike you get a stereo and an iPod with it. For a promotion of the bike they sent us an iPod for demonstration. Well it's a Windows iPod and no one has a PC here with a FireWire port so we don't have a way of getting any music on it to use it for a demonstration.

I haven't tried just plugging it in to my Mac yet we just got it today and I'm writing this from work.

2. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

It can't be that hard, but it might be difficult finding someone with experience on the matter. The WinPods aren't that old and I can't imagine anyone with a Mac buying one.

3. Cappy macrumors 6502

From what I recall hearing is the only way to get the Windows ipod to work with a Mac is to essentially reformat the ipods drive with a utility that Apple has on their site. Don't know how accurate that is but you might want to look through Apple's site about info on this. I'm sure you aren't the first or the last to ask this question so I bet they've got some sort of info on how to get this to work or not work.

4. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

So I have had a few minutes to research this and it is possible to go either way. Here is what I found.

You can go to Macintosh format with any iPod by simply using the Macintosh iPod Update software to restore the software to Macintosh.

If you want to go to Windows you have to have the Windows iPod software CD. This software is not available for download from Apple.

Here are the bulletins relating to this.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61671

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983

Thanks to everyone who replied.:)

5. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Well I found out something very interesting. I just plugged the Windows iPod into my Mac and it works. No reformatting, updating or anything. I love Apple.

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

lol, macbandit, i would have just assumed myself.

my prediction: a windows iPod works on either windows or Mac, but a mac ipod ONLY works on a mac. at least, that's my windows experience. everything not windows has to work well with windows to be successful, but windows doens't have to work with much of anything else.

7. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I thought that the only difference between the two was the software? The Mac iPod comes with iTunes and the Windows iPod comes with ....(I forgot the name) but yes, I thought that was the only difference.

8. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

They actually have different software loaded on them also though it all works the same on a Mac.