ipod photo cord question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by operastarlet, Mar 26, 2005.

1. operastarlet macrumors member

quick question, I am buying a new ipod photo 30gig and am selling my 3rd gen 20 gig ipod to my cousin. She has a pc, I a mac, Since the IPOD photo comes with the USB 2 port, and my IPOD has a firewire, would it be possible to switch the 2 cords? would my old cord work on my new Ipod and would the new cord work on the old ipod?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. operastarlet thread starter macrumors member

not working

Ok, the firewire is working with my IPOD photo, but the USB is not working for my cousins (my old) 3 gen ipod. It will not charge with the cable... what now?

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I don't think the 3rd gens will charge over USB (only sync). You'll have to use a firewire cable.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

3G iPods only charge over the firewire cable, not the USB cable. What now? I dunno...

6. operastarlet thread starter macrumors member

great...

Great... Now what to do. :( what do pc users do, Charge via firewire, but sync via usb?

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

If I remember correctly, the 3Gs came with both cables and they would use the firewire one that plugs into the wall adapter.

Or you can get yourself one of these, which I happen to use on my pc. I plug the firewire end into the wall adapter and the USB into my craptop...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...bMekO/2.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.3.19.0.1.1.1.1.0.1.0.1