iPod Photo - HD?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by asif786, Oct 29, 2004.

1. asif786 macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2004
    London, UK.
    Hey Guys,

I'm seriously interested in the iPod Photo (although, I'll have to work hard to build up my photo & music collection now!), but I have a question - hopefully someone can help.

Now, I havent been looking into HD TV's too much, but I know I'm gonna get one sooner or later (well, actually sooner i suppose). Does anyone know the resolution of these TV's?

I dont want to buy an iPod photo, get all my photos on there, and plug it into a HD tv to find it looks rubbish because the photos have been designed for a SD tv. Surely, Apple has forward-planned this?

If it won't look superb on a HD TV, then I'm gonna have to rethink getting an iPod photo.

Any ideas anyone?
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    The TV Out formats are NTSC and PAL, so the 220x176 pics aren't going to look stunning on your HDTV - there's no hi-res option.
  3. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    The iPod's screen is 220x176, but the photos don't have to be limited to that resolution. Photos from 3MP cameras exceed both HDTV standards (720p - 1280x720; 1080i - 1920x1080). The only thing is the iPod Photo has regular composite connections and depending on your HDTV, the resultant downconvert/upconvert may not look as good as it can.

Maybe there would be a way to use the iPod's Firewire connection to connect to the HDTV. In the future, most TVs will have Firewire built-in.