iPod Photo user review with pictures, details

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 31, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    I want one even more, the more screenshots I see.

BTW, here's a more formal first-look, with even more photos:

Two cool things:

* Long names (songs, albums, playlists) scroll by--right in the menus!

* Large vs. small (with text) album art on the Now Playing screen isn't an either-or choice... if you have chosen the small art display, just hit Select any time you want to enlarge the art to full screen.

Two not so cool:

* iPhoto album synching requires iPhoto 4 (which I won't buy--I'll wait and get whatever comes out with/after Tiger). You can still specify a photo folder to synch, but that's not the same as showing your iPhoto albums automatically. (Question: if you simply synch a folder, can it have subfolders that show up on the iPod? If so, that's an OK workaround until I get a new iLife.)

* Screen can be seen without backlight (it doesn't go black like a laptop) but it's much harder to see than an unlit B&W iPod. So using it entirely without any backlighting isn't as practical apparently. Better have the backlight set to come on at least for a short time when you touch a control.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    I am really annoyed that Apple never released these iLife apps individually because iTunes (free) and iPhoto are the only two I ever use. Unless there's something miraculous about Tiger, I don't know that my 700mhz original flat-panel iMac needs to be upgraded to it so iLife might be the only way this machine will get the upgrade and that 40$ really irritates me.
  4. macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Pitch forking mulch in Nova Scotia, Canada
    Interesting that it looks like he took the pictures with a wideangle lens,

I like that the songs scroll the names when in browse mode, very usefull.

Attached Files:

5. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Just to clarify, Tiger won't come WITH iLife or iPhoto... I'm just figuring, why buy the pre-Tiger iLife when I know a Tiger-enhanced iLife is probably on the way? Then I'll buy Tiger (a given--it's already miraculous enough for me!) and I'll also upgrade to iLife "05" most likely.

I too only use iPhoto and iTunes--and will toy with GarageBand. But I'm not bothered about bundling the iLife apps together--Apple gives you 5 apps for the price of one. Any one of the apps (except the freely downloadable iTunes) is worth the $49 by itself--competitors often charge more for just ONE app that's not as easy to use.

Nonetheless, iPhoto 2 does all I need, and the one thing I most want is sub-albums (Vacations -> With Parents -> Sewage Treatment Plant), and iPhoto 4 still doesn't have that. That's OK, nobody's forcing me to upgrade UNTIL the features of a new iPhoto ARE worth it to me.

Meanwhile, though, I do plan to give slideshows from an iPod, even if that means synching a folder instead of iPhoto.
  6. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Also... iPodLounge's preliminary take: Photo features are great, but Apple shouldn't charge $100 extra for them. Main gripe: initial photo synch (making all the thumbnails) is very slow compared to later when you just synch the newest photos.

They love the new UI. Me too!

Sounds like there might be some kind of On-The-Go slideshow creation too--it's not clear. That would be very cool! No need to skip slides in front of the audience just to customize, then.