ipod photo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ipaqman, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

hey everyone,

i just recieved my new 40Gig ipod photo. all i can say is that it is unbelievable. i do have one concern though... i have some scratches on the screen, is there anyway of removing them?

thanks for your help.

regards,
    ipaqman

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

For the metal back part of my iPod I use Brasso, I also use that when cleaning the front.

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

yup it advises that on ipodlounge.com. i would get yourself a case for it. i have an evo iskin which is pretty good (i dont know if they do a 4g version yet), it also keeps the screen scratch free as it has a screen cover with it!

4. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

i have that iskin evo case for it but there is a scratch on the glass protector that comes with it. is there any way to get the scratches off of it?

thanks,
    ipaqman

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i think you can buy new ones. look on the site where you got it from

6. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I have my PPod on the way and wanted to know about a good skin for it, would you change the iskin evo you have, if you could? isn't the thickness an issue? I thought the pPod was thicker than the 4G...can you confirm this?

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i wouldnt change mine. it give your ipod bouncability!

i have dropped mine a few times and not a scratch!

8. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I have a 3rd Gen iPod that did have a scratch on the display, but Brasso removed it and has also cleaned up the metal back as well.

9. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

is there any other substance that can remove those scratches. something that you can buy from a store, that is not online.

thanks,
    ipaqman

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Brasso is available in every discount (kmart and target), grocery, and hardware store i've ever been to. look in the cleaning aisle... it's pretty cheap.

you may have to do repeat applications to reduce large scratches... but it does work. great stuff to have around the house.

paul

11. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Ditto. I got scratches within minutes of taking my ipod photo out of its packaging. The Apple Case is a bit abrasive, I think. A case makes sense, but they take away from the beauty and feel of the ipod....

12. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your help, i will buy brasso. also i got the iskin evo for my ipod and there is a slight tear in the front... is this normal for their to be a slight teat on the front. is there someway that i can patch it? also what other cool programs do you have for your ipod? is there any cool downloads? also, how do i use the brasso to clean the ipod. do i apply it right on the ipod screen and all over the back. will it get recked if it gets on the screen?

thanks again for your help,
    ipaqman

13. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

could someone please reply... i want to know what you think.

thanks,
    ipaqman

14. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Use Brasso with a soft clean cloth, apply to any area that is scratched and rub gently, it is OK to use on the screen

15. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the instructions. is there any place to purchase brasso in canada... can you buy it at homehardware or anyplace like that? also what kool programs do they have for the ipod... any kool games that you can download.

thanks again,
    ipaqman

16. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

You could always buy some socks while your at Target getting Brasso. That will at least prevent some future scratches. :p

17. *Y* macrumors regular

Unfortunately there are no games for the iPod. :(

18. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

you cant get new games for the ipod at this point :( but you can get a program that puts the recent news on your notes without pics. by the way i used to be able to play .mpeg files on my ipod as a song but after upgrading to the new 40 gig photo i cant anymore? too bad, i thought that would be the way to get a video on the screen. everything is great but i wish i had the 60 gig color :( oh well...

19. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

the only difference between the 40gig and the 60gig is the bigger size. there are no other advantages to buying the 60gig are there.

ipaqman

20. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Hey Ipaqman, did you ever find any Brasso in Canada?

21. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

i havent looked yet... i will check at home depot. let me know if your find it anywhere. i will check this weekend.

thanks,
    ipaqman

22. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

My local HD didn't carry it. I was able to find it at Ace Hardware - do they have those up there?

Best $3 I have ever spent :)

23. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

let me know if there are any places in canada that sell it. it would be much appriciated.

thanks,
    ipaqman

24. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Just order from the link above.

25. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I just got my 60 gig ipod photo today from the apple store. The iskin evo 2 that I bought for my 4G 40 gig ipod does fit despite the fact that the photo ipod is slightly thicker. This is due to the stretchy nature of the iskin itself.
    Now I have to buy another skin for my 40 gig ipod.