iPod Player Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Phirax, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Phirax macrumors newbie

I have been considering purchasing an iPod to listen to my music (obviously) without carrying all my CD’s around. However, all my music is encoded in the Ogg Vorbis format and there is no way I am going to spend my time re-encoding it to another format (don’t have the time). Is it possible to use an iPod to play my Ogg Vorbis tunes? Currently my only hard-disk music players I can find that plays Ogg by default are the iRiver players.

2. Phirax thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers, big shame looks like i'll have to go for the iRiver. Anyway from what i've heard they are much better (iRiver H340), but they are so expensive here in Australia..

3. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

hmmm... dont do that get the ipod and make all you songs aac. dont go from your files to aac... start from the begining. never encode already encoded files!

4. Phirax thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I said before I'm not ripping them again (takes to long), Ogg Vorbis is a superior codec, and being open source I wish to support it. If it (iPod) doesn't support Ogg, I'm simply not going to get one.

5. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

ogg better than aac?...that will take some convincing!

6. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Ogg Vorbis IS superior to AAC. There's no need for convincing. Google it if your not sure.

7. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

It's simply a matter of opinion...No matter what facts you present.

8. Phirax thread starter macrumors newbie

Ogg can be encoded with compression up to 512kbps and it has a ARB algorithm, it can also be encoded as lossless, which is what I have done. Ogg Vorbis is also the only non RAW audio format that supports gapless play, apart from 3rd party hacks to specific formats.

Anyway my point is that I have spent the time creating my lovely little ogg files and I am not going to change them, regardless whether ogg is the worst format or the best.

9. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

right.. well i actually would need reasoning here. aac is better than mp3...there are stats and reasons for this statement.

also one of the most important thing about any encoding is that it be playable.....

10. Phirax thread starter macrumors newbie

agreed .aac is definately better than mp3, and true if you can't play then its a problem. However Ogg does have plenty of support, except in portable audio players, but 90% of them now support them apart from iPod (infact i just read that iPods don't have enough horse power to play them anyway), and the new sony devices which don't support mp3 even, only their own A-trak format..

11. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Ok... Thanks for the iRiver advert. Move on... Go buy one. Nothing to see here. Geesh... Don't start the Slashdot / Ogg Vorbis effect here. Everyone and their brother knows that the iPod doesn't support Ogg Vorbis. (Except people posting on Slashdot.) :rolleyes:

12. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

hmm sounds interesting! thanks for sharing ogg. i will check it out. i am a sucker for open source.

and i know what you mean about the work...but anywork is worth it for and iPod!

13. Phirax thread starter macrumors newbie