Ipod Price Drop at MWNY?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by andyrastetter, Jul 7, 2002.

1. andyrastetter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know anything about a possible ipod update/price drop at MWNY. I really want to get a 10 GB ipod but really don't want to pay more than 400 for it. I'd also settle for a refurbished one if the price was right. Apple used to have a 5GB refurb for 299, do you think they'll have a 10GB refurb anytime soon?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I haven't heard anything about and can't imagine there being an update to the iPod at MWNY, for the time being (until Tosh make the 20Gb drive smaller) there is nothing more they can do.

3. job macrumors 68040

job

I wish they would drop the price by $100. I'm having a hard enough time saving for a new tower, let alone an iPod. :rolleyes:

4. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

The 5 gig iPod has been retailing for the same price for over half a year now. Something is bound to happen, and a price drop would be nice. Still, the iPod is simply the best mp3 player out there, and it's worth every dollar...

5. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

I'd by my iPod on the 17th if they lowered the price by $100. Come on Apple!

Bill

6. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

Remote...

I'd love to see a remote on the iPod, as an accessory.

7. andyrastetter thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, I don't see how apple can keep the 5GB ipod price where it is for very much longer. Something is going to have to change in the next few months. It would be great if apple lowered both of the ipod prices by 100 dollars.

8. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

I think that they will bring the 5 GB to $299 and 10 Gb to $399.

Then, they can realease a 20 GB version for $499.

Toshiba also has a 2 GB harddrive out. Some people don't need 5 GB of space for Music. You don't need to have all your music with you all the time. I think they will release a 2 GB version for $199.

9. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

****, i hope they dont. I just got an iPod for my birthday. But, most likey, they will. The price is way too high. Most people could go out and buy a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 with a 20 gig HD for less. It has firewire also. I think Apple has to watch its competition a little more closely. The 5 gig should be 199 o 250. The 10 gig shouled be like 299 or like 350. Not 399 for the 5 gig and 499 for the 10 gig. I mean, c'mon, we should have to pay THAT much for styling and the over all neato factor of the iPod. But, i guess Apple's strategy still is, "If you can buy the comp, you can afford to buy all the over priced things we make for it."

Also, if the Ipod was cheaper, more people would try and do crazy stuff to it. Maybe hack it so they could boot off of it, or maybe load games on there so you could play on the small screen it has. Just things that people cant do because its too expensive and you cant just fix it like a computer if you mess up.

Those are my ideas. Feel free to object (but u gotta have a good reason!!) if you feel the need to.

10. DrGrip84 macrumors newbie

is the ipod overpriced? yes. does the fact that pc units with comprable (word used VERY loosely) memory capacity are available for much less mean they are better? no.

let's face it, if you're a mac user and buy any other mp3 player right now your a fool and can't afford the unit anyway.

11. A. Rastetter macrumors newbie

The question still remains whether apple will update the ipod as soon as MWNY. I do think a 100 dollar price drop accross the board would be great but I don't see apple selling a 5GB ipod at this point for 299 dollars. Also, is apple going to introduce a PC ipod as previously rumored and would this simply be a software upgrade or slightly different design as well. I agree with those who have said apple should put a PC ipod in a beige case so it would match the beautiful PC cases which make me wonder why I ever bought a mac.

12. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Beige??? God, who ever said that was smoking something illegal. The iPod's multi platform transition is a definate and so will be a price drop. Maybe, if they have a 20 gig version come out, eeverything will drop $100 anyways. So it'll be 20 gig:499, 10 gig:399, 5 gig:299.

I think it will be a 99.999999% chance that the PC compatability will be through software. The iPod will not look different at all, because the whole appeal to the iPod is its portability and its overall style. The Nomad Jukebox 3 i mentioned before is as big as a freekin cd player, thats why its so low in price. Now, all Apple has to do is keep a bottleneck on all those rogue companies that ALREADY make iPod for PC software. One such example of this type of software is EPHPOD and Xplay (xplay is in beta form).
    Apple better jump soon or else these products will take a hold of the PC ipod arena very fast. BTW, EPHPOD is free service. Apple might have gotten screwed on this one.

heres EPHPOD's link, just in case anyone wants to check it out :[here]www.mentaljewelry.org/ephpod[/URL]

13. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

i was wondering if anyone was gunna say ssomething about a 2 gig one. i had the idea, but i wasnt sure waht people would think about it. But taht does bring up a great point. I definately do not need all 5 GB on my iPod. I would have settled for a 2 gig any day of the week. Thats about 400 songs, if my rough math is correct. Apple would sell many more 2 gig iPods because of their high capacity and pricing in the range of the Nomad and Rio players taht cost around $200, but only have about 64 128 MB or storage.

14. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

PC ipod: eh, maybe...there is already a PC option if you want one via third party software, so not a big rush for Apple to make one of their own. Also Apple's big push of late has been to convert PC users, not cater to them.

ipod price drop: Why? have the components gotten cheaper? Has the demand dropped that much? no on both, so probably not.

New ipod functionality? hmmm, could be. What else can they add? We'll see.

End of Life for the iPod? Wow, that could actually be. There may be an ipod replacement in the works that has some functionality impossible in the current ipod, or even a totally new device that combines all the ipod does within it's own purpose. What is that top right image in the "leaked PR video stills"?

If nothing at all happens regarding the iPod, I would still recommend getting on eat the current pricing (although I highly recommend waiting till after the end of SJ's keynote). I got the 5gig a while ago and stressed spending the money, but I am sooo glad I did. It's a great tool for transporting files without bringing the computer. free software...wink wink, ahem....

15. job macrumors 68040

job

Weren't those proven to be fakes?

hitman

16. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I know you can transport files on the ipod, but i cant get it to show up as an external FW drive on my desktop. Do i need to specially format it? If i do, are my Mp3s still safe?

Also, i heard there is a brick breaking game on the ipod (like allyway or hardball (palm PDAs)) Is that true?

17. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

There's a button on iTunes that you have to click, I'm away from my machine right now, so look under preferences and there is something like "enable firewire HD mode" that needs to be clicked...I think, it was so long ago that I set it up. Wait, usually it just pops up on any machine I plug it into whether it has itunes or not.

On the newest version, the breakout game is under Settings, legal, wait a second then press the middle button and hold for three seconds.
    On the old version it's on the about screen, same thing, press and hold middle button three seconds.

18. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

oops, been busy working lately so I missed them being debunked. How did they prove them to be fakes?

19. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

thanks

20. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

Just for peoples info. I have a collection where one minute equals one meg, and the average length is three minutes. That would allow someone to put nearly 700 songs on a 2 GB iPod. I think it would be a good idea for the people who listen to music occasionally. Those kinds of people wouldn't need 5 GB iPods.

21. A. Rastetter macrumors newbie

I understand that many people would only want a 2GB ipod. Many people I think would find the 10GB useful though because it would allow them to put their entire CD collection on this one, handheld device. The interface of the ipod is so easy to use that this would make it much easier for most people to access their music collections. I think that a 20GB model would be outrageously large unless you were using the ipod primarily as a hard drive. My personal opinion is that if it's a hard drive you want, pay less and get a 40GB 2.5 inch portable one which has a connection that will properly allow video editing.
    Where the 20GB hard drive would be particularly useful would be in an integrated device that included iphoto syncing. Think about how cool it would be to have a ipod-sized device with a high quality color lcd screen, that could display photos, play music, and play quicktime videos. What if it could even play divx videos and had a slightly larger screen. By the way, any divx news for mac recently? I have a dvd player but not in my mac so it's how i take my movies with me... Unfortunantly I can't encode them myself yet...

22. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

haha, u'd have to have some big ass pictures to fill up the 20 gig iPod. What i really think should happen is have an option of being able to hook up a cd burner to ur iPod via the firewire port. Then, if you wanted to, you could make a cd of the music u want, like for a friend or somebody without a mac who wants ur music. Since firewire has the ability to operate without a host computer, its entirely fesible, but probably not something apple would do. i think Apple should make the iPod a full on FW hd AND mp3 player. that way, people could use it for many uses otehr than listening to music and transporting files. It should become a full on, bootable HD.

Gimme ur input on that.

23. A. Rastetter macrumors newbie

yes I agree, you should be able to plug a fire wire cd burner into the ipod and burn directly on to it. I wonder whether someone might develope software to do that but I doubt apple would because it would encourage copyright violation (not considering that an mp3 player already does that!!!)

24. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I hope they do cut the prices. I've been telling my sister or the last month or two to wait... she'll hurt me if there's no price drop! :D

25. andyrastetter thread starter macrumors newbie

Everybody has seen the "hoax" apple movie footage of a new digital device right. Well that device had both fire wire and usb. Suppose (and this is a stretch) that this was a new ipod like device that also had a color screen. And suppose this device had iphoto syncing with it. And here comes the meaning of the usb port... suppose you can print out directly from this digital device- most printers are usb right? And what if this device also allowed you to plug your camera into it, organize and crop photos, and print them out, all without a computer. I know this is stretching it but it makes sense to me. I'm not expecting an apple PDA anytime soon after what Steve J. said about them. I think this sort of device (ipod 2 perhaps) would make sense as part of the digital hub.

Just a suggestion :D