iPod prices on Ebay

Discussion in 'iPod' started by NewbieNerd, Dec 7, 2005.

1. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I've been looking on eBay at used iPods, and prices are ridiculous! Nearly all 4GB Minis are going for anywhere from 150 to 300+ bucks!! Why is this? Is it that people (a) really value the color cases, (b) don't know much, if anything, about nanos/5Gs, or (c) haven't experienced first hand how thin the new ones are and how nice the color screens are? Which of (a),(b),(c) do you guys thing is the greater reason for the phenomenon.

I have a green Mini in perfect condition (due to case I have on it) that I am thinking about selling soon while people are still shopping for Christmas gifts. My fiance has a 30 GB 5G iPod with Video (just learned how to use Handbrake to put Shrek on there...so awesome!), and I think I'd like to get something larger than the 4GB. I personally don't feel comfortable with the 5G one because it is thin and gets really greasy from fingers, but I think if I waited til after Christmas, I could grab a nice 4G one after all the kids getting there nano's and 5Gs want to put their old ones up for sale on eBay. I could be looking at a significant upgrade (in my own preferences) at very little expense. Physical size doesn't matter to me, so I think this would be perfect!

Sadly I have never sold anything on eBay, only purchased, and don't have a digital camera to take pictures of it. Hmm...

2. betbest1 macrumors regular

d) Minis are more reliable and a better deal than Nanos. The 4GB Mini sold for the same amount as the 2GB Nano, does not have the scratching problems, supports FireWire, is harder to lose, has a bigger screen and a bigger click wheel, and comes in a variety of cool colors. Also, it is not as easy to lose, and a color screen is not very useful, since the Nano can't play videos and the screen is about the size of a postage stamp. I recently (as in ~1 week ago) purchased a 6GB Mini, instead of a Nano, for these reasons.

3. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

On what information do you base this statement?

My friends Mini was scratched really bad. This is an issue with all iPods. Buy a nice case and this is no longer an issue.

Is this really that big an issue for most people?

I have to agree on the size. although IMHO the minis were truly unattractive.

Didn't you say that already:)

Still better than grayscale, Plus even smallish I would like the CD art

4. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I think a lot of people are looking at the nanos and deciding they are a bit too small (i.e. clickwheel) and scratch-prone and wishing they could get a mini. Local stores don't have them any more so they are going to ebay and driving up prices.

Greg

5. NewbieNerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Yeah, I guess I can't blame people for it. I'm not really that keen on a Nano either. Let's just hope I can get my hands on a camera soon so I can get it up on eBay! I could get one from Best Buy, use it once, and then return it, but I'm not sure if that would be wrong or not. Hmm...

I'm just hoping for a good 4G Photo on the cheap after Christmas. :D

6. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Some people just like the look of the minis more. I offered to buy my sister a nano for christmas but she said she preferred her mini. Oh well, saves me some money.:D

7. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I just bought a 4GB mini off ebay. For me getting 4GB for less than the price of a 2GB nano was part of it. The nano scratch issues made me feel like I would need to buy $20 invisible shield plus a silicone case to protect it. The mini seemed like it could survive naked, at least for a while.

But ironically I ended up buying a mini that came with 2 cases (silicon and neoprene) so my mini is covered anyway!

So maybe my subconscious really just wanted a coloured iPod and came up with a bunch of justifications to make the mini seem like the smart move :)

Greg

8. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I just sold my 4G iPod mini for $200. It was given to me as a birthday gift and I never really used it, so I figued I try to get some cash. I never expected I get its retail value.

9. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Its surprising how many people you see in apple stores asking for mini's as they have no knowledge of nano's and the sales assistant has to brief them on the Nano, but they remain un-convinced like they are getting ripped off.....

Shadow