iPod problem/dilemma

Discussion in 'iPod' started by reykjavik, May 17, 2005.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

I have about 39 gigs of mp3's and a 40 gig iPod, which means I cant fit all my mp3s onto my iPod. What option should I choose? If I choose to let iTunes put what it thinks should be on there, then I get only one playlist (a playlist with every song I own) and no other playlists and cant seem to find a way to add my original playlists.

However, if I choose to update the playlists only and not let iTunes decide, then I get ONLY the playlists and no other artists.

Is there a way to get the best of both worlds (like by having iTunes not upload songs I havent listened to in a while)? If not, what would you choose?

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

That's kind of what I do...I have about 12gigs of music and a 10gig iPod. I have it add all the playlists I've created personally, and then it also adds every song with a playcount greater than or equal to 1. I have enough songs in my collection that haven't been played to make this work. (They are part of albums I've bought and I don't want to break up the album.) At some point, I may have to go up to "greater than or equal to 2" but I hope to have a new iPod by the time that happens!

3. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

but how? it only gives me two options: (1) upload everything and no playlists or (2) upload only playlists....

4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Of the other box! - "Manually Manage"
    EDIT - and the poster above achieved this with these amazing things, Smart Playlists!

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There is also the option to automatically include all songs, but to only include songs with the checkbox checked. You can mass select/unselect checkboxes by using the search tool to identify all the ones you want to choose and then clicking one of the check boxes while pressing Apple. I have more music than my iPod can hold too, and this is what I do.