iPod problem...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Draft, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Draft macrumors 6502

I have a 30 GB iPod. Ever since I purchased it, I have been having a problem where, when playing, the iPod will pause. The device still shows the play arrow, but there is no sound produced and the elapsed time bar stops scrolling. This doesn't happen in the same place twice in a row. It always seems to be random. Also, it doesn't happen very often, maybe once for every 10 or so hours of use. Sometimes, if you let it sit long enough, it'll start playing again, but it'll start back up about 4 songs ahead. I normally just do a hard reset and everything works fine until the next time it happens.

2 things that I've done to try to remedy this problem is running a disk utility on all of the disks on my computer, including the iPod, and reformatting the iPod, zeroing the data, before reinstalling the software.

Has anyone seen this problem? What other steps can I do to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Have you tried a factory restore using the iPod software updater? To do this, launch the iPod updater with the iPod connected, then click Restore instead of Update. Wait while the iPod resets, then re-synchronize all your music and data. I had to do this once to fix a very strange iPod issue where iTunes refused to see my iPod after I connected it, then closed and relaunched iTunes.

3. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

Woops! I forgot to put that in my post. I've tried that as well. Could there be something wrong with the iPod Update Installer?

Thanks,

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Do you have the latest iPod software? You can get the latest updater here.

5. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep. I grabbed the newest version as soon as it was available.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hmm...I'm out of ideas at this point. Maybe someone else can take over?