ipod problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by operastarlet, Oct 28, 2004.

1. operastarlet macrumors member

I have started having a problem with my 3g 20gig Ipod. recently it has seemed to have lost sensitivity on the touch buttons, It can take several tries to try to get it to recognize the touch. Also, frequently if I am playing a song and then try to go back to the playlist to get to a different song, all the song names are blank and they will not appear again unless I go entirely out to the main menu and then back again.
    I have tried resetting the Ipod and not change and I have tried cleaning the ipod buttons to fix the touch sensitivity problem.

Any other suggestions?

Should I try to send it back to Apple, it has the one year warranty and I bought it in May.

2. web_god61 macrumors regular

web_god61

sorry to hear bout your troubles, I've never herd this story before but try a firmware upgrade or a restore using apples ipod updater program. If none of that works then send it back.

Hope it helps.

3. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I would just send it back to apple. After all, you'll only be without the ipod for a few days.

Also, this should be in the Apple Harware section. But that's just nitpicking.

4. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

i notice my 3rd gen 30 gb is giving me a similar problem. On mine it only seems to affect the menu button, it has lost almost all sensitivity. The other buttons work fine. Usually I can play with it for a while and it starts working fine. Very strange.

5. hob macrumors 68020

hob

My 3G 20gb sometimes has problems with the track forward button... Never thought much of it... Might mention it to apple when I send it for a new battery before the end of warranty (and, of course because it's wearing out... ;))

Hob

6. operastarlet thread starter macrumors member

Sending it back to Apple?

Ok I called apple tech and they told me to follow the website technical support and if that didn't work to send it back.
    It didn't.

After reading the apple service request disclaimer I am a bit worried about sending it back. As I mentioned in my first post. The problems do not happen every single time. and Like quackattack said, If i play with it, it stops for a bit.
    I don't want to send it back, and they don't see the problem and charge me that 100 diagnostic fee plus the 30 shipping and handling.
    ?
    What should I do. The problem is annoying me and I don't want it to get worse, but I don't want them to think I am trying to cheat them or something...

7. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

As far as the buttons not responding to your touch, try moving the Hold switch to Hold and back, then try the buttons again. I've seen this posted numerous times, and have experienced it myself on my Gen 3 30 Gig iPod. I've updated to the latest software and have restored my iPod completely several times. It doesn't happen often, every now and again. Have you tried a complete restore to solve the blank song list issue. If you do call Apple that's probably the first thing they'll have you do. A complete restore will totally erase your iPod, and put it back to the way it was when you first took it out of the box. As long as all your music is in iTunes it will all get put back on the first sync. If you have any files on there (if you use "Disk Mode") you should back them up first. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Marc

8. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

how long is the warranty? I never really considered sending it back as an option, i think mine is over a year and a half old. it would be nice to know what my options are. then again its not really a huge problem, may not br worth the bother.