iPod problems—Dead Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by d_and_n5000, Nov 23, 2006.

1. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

My iPod(5G, 30GB), I think, has passed into iPod heaven. I dropped it from about four feet today, and now when I turn it on, it come up with a message stating "Connect to your computer. Use iTunes to restore," in several languages. It was on the main menu when it was dropped it, so I don't think that the hard drive was spinning, but I don't know. It worked for thirty seconds or so, then froze up, then I restarted it. It came up with said message. I plugged it into my computer and restored it about three times. Basically, I'm asking if she's given up the ghost. Has anyone else ever had this message? Fix? If it has to be replaced, I bought accidental damage coverage at Circuit City when iPods were still worth $300, and if I put in a claim I'll get a $300 gift card plus tax to buy anything I want, and the extra $50 will cover most of the extended warranty, with a small amount of out-of-pocket pay.

And yes, I need to take better care of my babies.

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

That sucks. Really. I just had my 4G iPod replaced about a month ago, but I had applecare. Unfortunately, mine just stopped.

I think that your iPod is dead. If restoring it doesn't work, it's probably time for a new one. Good thing you have an extended warranty or you'd be in a big pile of crap.