iPod problems, please can anyone help?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Amy2005, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Amy2005 macrumors regular

Hi

I have a iPod photo and it has been showing the sad iPod face and occasionally the folder with exclamation mark, and was showing a battery icon which didn't move with a monochrome screen. I did get it back last night, all charged and back in colour and able to put all the songs on. However when I unplugged it from the charger this morning and tried to play a song. It froze so I did the reset where you toggle hold switch then press menu and selet together and now the sad iPod is back and occasionally the folder with exclamation mark with no colour again and then when it's plugged into my mac it shows up the flat battery icon again.

Does anyone have any ideas about what it wrong with it or how to sort it.

Thanks, Amy

2. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

I think the folder with the exclimation point means that it can't read from the hard drive. Have you called or taken it to a genius. Sounds like it might be a dying or failing HD. :(

3. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i was thnking of taking it in but then i found out that it costs over £150 to fix an iPod & my nearest apple shop is 50 miles away. I was fearing it was dying. I just managed to get it in disk mode & able to restore it but then the sad ipod was back. I might be scanning ebay for one soon :(

Thanks, Amy

4. polevault139 macrumors 6502

My friend has the exact same problem you do(except he dropped his iPod in a glass of coke). The sad iPod means a hardware issue so I also think it is the hard drive. The only difference is when my friend put his into disk mode he could not even restore it then. Good Luck with it.

5. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

I've managed to get the colour display back on again and it's fully charged again, my only worry is that when I try to play a song when I do get them all back on again is that it will go back to the sad iPod again. Could it be the battery needs replacing or do you think it's a hardware or HD issue?

Thanks
    Amy :)