ipod problems -- weird logo display

Discussion in 'iPod' started by placebo, Sep 18, 2005.

1. placebo macrumors member

Hi: my ipod has suddenly stopped working. before it stopped booting up, it started automatically running through all my songs in a playlist, it wouldn't play any of them. then it displayed a weird logo: it looked like an apple battery adapter plugging in a wall. i've tried resetting it, but now it just displays an apple logo. it doesn't load on my itunes or the finder. any help???

2. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

that is thee symbol usually displayed when you restore your ipod: it means you need to reflash your firmware by doing what the logo suggests and plug the ipod into a wall. what i would do is plug it into the wall, try and re set it then and post an update for next steps.

its totally normal so dont worry.

tastic

3. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

also, you could try plugging it into your computer and running ipod updater?

tastic

4. placebo thread starter macrumors member

plug it into a wall? i don't have anything to plug it into a wall with.. unless i'm not understanding something..

5. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

sorry, what model of ipod is it?

if its an iPod mini, then there is the possibility of you not having a power adapter for it, in which case you cannot plug it into the wall:D

if its not an ipod mini, then you should have the AC power adapter?

tastic

6. placebo thread starter macrumors member

yes i have an ipod mini.. it's now loading successfully, but reseting it must have deleted all the music from it (no biggie) however the finder and itunes is still not reading it.

7. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

it usually takes a while for the ipod to be recognised in itunes ( i have a photo) but it probably doesnt appear in the finder or the desktop because "enable disk use" is turned off by default when the firmware is reset.

leave it for 5 minutes.....any longer than that and i would suggest maybe using a different cable (may have to be purchased) using a different USB/firewire port, and perhaps resort to calling apple if the problem doesnt resolve itself. (if its under warranty of course)

tastic