iPod PROMO ON SNL!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Daveway, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

How many of you just saw Colin Farrel on SNL as Bono showing off his new ipod? They then do a reinactment of "Verigo", it was hilarious! Big promotion for ipods.

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Haha I saw that tonight actually. Funny cuz I don't think SNL is funny these days, but I thought that was a great sketch. And it definitely was an iPod plug for the special edition...

-Kev

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Yah, I saw it too, it was funny.
    On a side note, yesterday I saw Ocean's 12, and it had a dell dj !!!! quite prominent promotion..

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

What was it, one or two years ago on "ER" - where Carter is out in the jungle and basically does a blatant plug for iPod? A bit more unusual in that case because I don't believe Apple pays for those spots (unlike most product placements, such as the one you mention).

BTW am I the only one who finds the increasingly blatant product placements in movies and TV really annoying and distracting? I know the practice itself isn't new, but now it seems to (intentionally?) distract from the flow of the plot. You know, how a character will say something like "why don't you take the Hyundai Santa Fe down to the morgue..." or "run down to the Wells Fargo ATM - they're open 24 hours you know!". People just don't talk like that! They didn't used to noticably modify the dialogue (say more than 5-10 years ago); they'd just make sure the Hyundai (or whatever) logo was obvious in a camera shot where an individual was getting into a vehicle.

5. hobbes3113 macrumors regular

hobbes3113

Somewhat along the same lines...

Has anyone noticed that there are several shows obviously using Apple products (powerbooks in particular) which have covered the apple logo with some silver tape?

Very strange if you ask me.

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

who saw Ellen the other day? My sister taped it for me because Zach Braff was on it, and she gave the whole audience 20GB iPods... the audience was still buzzing after the commercial break and Zach came on and said "nothing warms up a crowd like iPods"... I thought it was great

7. supersize macrumors member

Blade trinity has Jessica Beil making playlists and listening to her ipod everytime she is kicking vampire butt, which is kind of funny because she's using the stock earbuds and every time I use them i can't walk to the corner without them falling out. I guess that's why they call it movie magic :D

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Or maybe she has really big ear holes. :)