iPod Protection

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nspace, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Nspace macrumors regular

Just received my iPod 4G today. I am really pleased with and enjoying it. It is so much more lightweight and thinner than my Creative Nomad Zen.

Unfortunately I have already realised how easy it is to scratch, just having it in my back pocket as left little marks on the mirror finish, not that it really matters that much as you cannot even feel them with your finger, I am sure there is some way to get rid of them.

Anyways I really want to get some sort of protective case when we start seeing more and more of the 4G cases available. If there is any now let me know.

My question is in the past, for owners of previous versions of the iPod, what case have you used and what do you predict to be some of the nicest cases available for the 4G.

From what i have looked at so far, the RadTech PodSleevz seem really nice, like extra thin so that the ipod dosn't seem bigger. Anyone have photos of how thin these really are? its hard to tell from the photo.

Sorry for the odd thread, I just want to sort of have an idea what to look for so I can get something for this ASAP.

Thanks!

Tom

2. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Interesting that they dont come with cases...

3. shecky Guest

shecky

thats very helpful.

i would look at the reviews of cases on http://www.ipodlounge.com . most of the retailers are saying that they will have 4G cases out in September. Personally, i like the Waterfield iPod case. http://www.sfbags.com

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I just recently got an iSkin and I like it a lot.

5. belair macrumors 6502

belair

I wanted to buy an iskin yesterday for my 3 G. and the shop only sells them in a package of three.
    Why? Who owns three 3 G. ipods?
    Guess I will have to keep lookig to find a "honest shop" that sells them seperately. :rolleyes:

6. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

The Radtech sleeve is very thin and form fitting. Perfect if you want to use it and keep your iPod in your pocket. Will not add any bulk at all. Will protect from scratches and you can use the buttons with it on, at least on the 3G iPod. No real protection if it is dropped.

7. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

still chrome?!.. come on apple!..

I dont understand why apple insist on chrome but not turn to aluminium just like they did at iPod mini... My 12" PB (which is alu of course) has NO scratches or anything on its surface, even it fell twice.. the reason can be cost, which is understandable, but anyways I don't care about it, I want my iPod not to be scratched for the whole life-time of the product..

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Personally, I don't care if the iPod has scratches. Used stuff will look used. ALL cases for the iPod are ugly, IMO. Its almost as bad as using a mobile phone case when you own a $300+ phone. Why buy a gorgeous product only to hide it?

Anyway, that was my logic..... until 5 minutes ago. :mad: I looked at my new 4G iPod I got 2 days ago, and the screen has a scratch. It won't go away! :( I must have scratched it when I placed it in my jean pant pocket when I went to the mall this morning. It was just a pocket in a pair of jeans. Its not like I placed them near metal, or a cheese grater or something!

I don't mind scratches on the casing. I will at first, but I won't by tomorrow. However, I need to protect my screen. Its about usability. I don't want a scratched up screen that's not easy to look at. I just did a super-crude job at protecting it by taking my PDA, taking off the Fellowes screen protector (I'm in Oz and my "unused" screen protectors are at home), roughly cutting it into a square shape the approximate size of the iPod screen, and sticking it on.

This may help you until September, when the new cases will come out. I could also use my iPod in my old Handspring Visor case, but the iPod is too small. :rolleyes:

9. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

to fix scratches on the front (including the screen) use radtech's iceCreme. i've heard good things about it, and it seems to work well...
    too bad there isn't any way to fix the back :-/

reality

10. Nspace thread starter macrumors regular

Actually the iceCream product does come with another M solution for buffing out the scratches on the back. Not sure how well it works though, perhaps I will try it down the road.

I guess for me I just want to stop it from getting worse, not that it is in the least bit bad now, I realise It will get scratched overtime I was just suprised at how easy this happens. Like mentioned earlier, and this is how it happened to me, just putting it in my pocket was enough to scratch it. The rad tech sleevz appealed to me cause they seem really thin which is good, and the plastic/vinyl ones seem to make it look more bulky. Are they?

But like Abstract said, its a shame to cover it all up in a case. Is there anyone who makes like a really thin latex/vinyl sleeves that maybe stretches on? Clear so you can still see it but just enough to stop it from scratches.

11. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

12. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Check out Speck products www.speckproducts.com . I have the case they make for the 3G iPod and I love it. The 4G shouldnt be too far away.

edit: I have the flipstand hard case. I like it because it comes with its own dock and allows the controls to be easily used.

13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

actually, thats the speck products "skin" not the iskin. the iskin is the brand name, with product lines ranging from evo to evo2, 3, 4.
    speck products is the manufacturer of the 3 packs, and their product line is the skin.

14. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Don't get one. I have 2 iPods, each with its own case. After awhile, I stopped using the cases. They make it bigger (no matter how thin they are), they take away from the look, but most importantly, they affect how you treat your iPod. Once my iPods got a few scratches on them, I was able to treat them like a small machine that carries my music, address book, and calender. A great machine, but not something I have to treat like a piece of fine china. It can take a decent beating and still work fine, and you get more out of it, plus feel nicer doing it.

15. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

iSkin will be releasing Evo like protection for the 4G soon (sometime this month). I have had Exo, Exo2, Evo and iSkin Mini and I never have regretted it. I am definitely getting the next one. I am not dissapointed at all the Apple isn't supplying that crappy case with their products, I always get iSkin protection....I also have the keyboard cover for my PB from iSkin.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

During the winter, I use a Speck skin (the rubbery one, with the flip bottom). It adds quite a bit of bulk, but I'm wearing my jacket anyway so I don't notice. During the warmer months, I've been using the little black bag that held the belt clip (I don't like clipping things to my belt/pants, I'm wide enough already :D). But in the past few weeks, I've been letting it go commando-style, since it rarely goes anywhere other than: the dock, my lap, or the inside of the armrest of whichever car I'm driving.

17. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

Yours too. Anyways, I've called the apple store in my area and they still don't have cases for the new ipods yet.