iPod proves advertising works

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Gus, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

For years I've complained about the fact that Apple never really advertises their products. For example, have you EVER seen an OS X commercial? No? How about a Windows XP commercial?--Oh yeah, about once a second for about 6 months there. How many PowerMac/Powerbook/iBook/eMac commercial have you ever seen? Dell or Gateway commercials?

Now we have the iPod. Those commercials were on every 10 minutes where I live for about a month solid. Then there's the print ads everywhere, and the web advertisements I've seen on everyone's site. Guess what? They sold 730,000 iPods. Yes, yes, I know that they are selling to Windows users too, but isn't that partly who they're trying to market OS X to?

How many non-Mac users do you know that didn't even know Apple had a new Unix-based operating system? I just think that the iPod proves that if Apple will actually buy some advertising, and have it on many, many times, it will help sell more computers.

Just a rant. Thanks!

Regards,
    Gus

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I think word of mouth, and press surrounding the iPod spurred its sales, the commercials only add a boost.
    Still I wish Apple did more advertising.