IPOD Question: Belkin TuneCast Vs iTrip.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rezet, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2003
    Connecticut, United States of America
    Hey guys I want to listen to ipod in the car but my cd player sux so i have to choose between itrip or tunecast.
    I got myself iTrip and think it sux. But im not sure if tunecast is any better.
    itrip seems to be weak and plays w/o static only when placed directly accross from antenna by the windshield. And even still gets static when im driving.
    I want to return it but thinking whether it's worth even trying tunecast? it works off the batteries, so maybe its more powerful? But if so, how long do those batteries last?
    What would u suggest? If tunecast isnt better than i'll look into wiring it to my modulator. But i really would rather not do it.

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Everyone at the iPodLounge is raving about the Monster iCarPlay. It's a little spendy but it's a charger and a transmitter all in one.

If you want help with iPod products your much much better off at iPodLounge they have a lot of information on iPod accessories and other stuff related to the iPod.
  3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Just say no to Belkin

I thought the Belkin Tunecast would work well too, but oh was I wrong. It only had 4 preset stations, all of which were very staticy. And it takes batteries, what a rip. I bought one of these right before I left for a trip at my local Best Buy, after fidgeting with it for about an hour while I was driving I had had enough. I saw a Best Buy from the interstate, and exited immeaditly. Within 2 hours of purchase, I had returned it. Maybe if you spend some time with it, you could get it to work for you, but I had had enough. Good Luck
  4. Soul Warrior macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2003
    I have owned and used an iTrip for about a year without any trouble. I normally use it in the car rather than in the house and have found that as long as I search for an FM radio frequency that is not already being used and one that is not too close to a powerful signal from another frequency, the car radio picks up the iTrip transmission cleanly.

Just a hint for those that may not be aware - once tuned in, by adjusting the volume on the iPod, the iTrip transmission signal becomes either weaker (low volume) or more powerful (high volume). Too much volume and the iTrip transmission becomes distorted with the music peaking out. Too little volume and the radio struggles, transmitting hiss and static. I've found that setting the volume to somewhere around the 70% mark hits the target.
  5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Apr 18, 2003
    I too am an owner of Griffin Technologies iTrip and am quite pleased with it. I guess it varies where you live and where you travel that will dictate what kind of reception you will receive. I love its minute size and the fact that it draws its power from the iPod itself. Sorry to hear that you're not sharing the same success.
  6. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

Aug 10, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    yea, mess around with the volume a lttle bit. it makes a big difference.
  7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I have an iCarPlay. It does a pretty good job of transmitting the music to my FM radio. I like how it uses lineout instead of the headphone ports. Even when my radio station can faintly tune in low frequency channels, the iCarPlay still overpowers those signals so that my music is clear. I DO, however, have to change the channel every so often depending on my location. I'm in San Diego, CA. Due to Tijuana, Mex, being so close to me, and with a lot of unregulated radio stations coming out of there, I don't think it will perform worse for you than it does for me, and I'm quite happy with the product.
  8. Rezet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2003
    Connecticut, United States of America
    Thanx Kevin, and everyone else who replied. I order iCarPlay. Hope it's bettter than iTrip.
  9. etoiles macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    did you get your iCarPlay ? How is the sound quality ? Better than the iTrip ?
  10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    The iTrip is fantastic - even in busy cities. Make sure you have it configured correctly - and most importantly, that you have the volume on the ipod itself up past 75%.