iPod question...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by burger011, Feb 20, 2002.

1. burger011 macrumors regular

If I had an iPod and I had to do a software restore on my iMac, would I still be able to access the iPod?

I ask this because, I believe the iPod can only download music from one computer and I wonder how the iPod would recognize the computer if you have wiped clean the HD.

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I think that it detects your computer's serial number like system profiler does. It should still work after the restore.

3. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Other utilities...

There are other utilities that you can download from versiontracker that allow you to take any music off of an iPod regardless of what computer put the music originally.

I find this useful for taking music off of one of my Macs and putting it on another. I'm not sure of the legality of this, but I can't imagine its too big of an offense. Its not like I give it to other people!

Just go to versiontracker and search for "iPod".

Matthew

4. agp macrumors member

Computers Name

I own an iPod, and as far as I know it knows the computers name that it is synchronized with.

If you re-install everything and keep the comp. name the same it will continue working. If you change the name, you just tell the iPod to sync with the new name, all will be ok :)