iPod Questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blubox, Feb 10, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Feb 10, 2008
    I have a ipod touch and i have a few questions.

1. Will the iPod tell you if it is overheating? Does the iPod touch overheat?

2. If it does overheat what can it do to the system?

Thank you so much!
  2. macrumors 601

Dec 31, 2007
    La La Land
    Not really. The only time I ever feel it (or any) heat up is towards the connector while transferring like...1000+ songs at once.
    Well, under normal use it doesnt usually overheat, but if it does either it will crash, or shut down. It could damage the system and cause data loss, but I dont know.
  3. macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Tell me: why do you even worry about it? :confused:
  4. macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2008
    Why would apple design and sell for a reasonably large amount of money, a device that overheats and damages itself?
  5. macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2008

I've had an iPod Touch since Xmas, and there hasn't been a hint of overheating - I regularly watch movies on it on the train, stays cold all the way.

6. macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2007
    das Fort
    No issues here. It has operated perfectly ever since I took it out of the box.
  7. macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2008
    If it's connected to a power source and left on a flat surface it will get warm, but nowhere near hot. Normally you're carrying it around or holding it so it has air circulating around it and keeping it cool. Some leather cases may enclose it and prevent air circulation but since Apple sells these they apparently don't see heat as a problem. At any rate it's better to be safe than sorry - let it have some air and you'll be okay.
  8. macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
  9. macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2008
    I just got an Ipod Touch and when I was syncing my music it just quit after about 100 songs and I have like 4000 to go, so I plugged it back in and it started again from were it left off but this time I held it in my hand and it went up to 200 songs before it quit. Im guna call apple tomarrow but I think its overheating, yet it doesn't feel too hot, only around the power connecter.
    What do you guys think?
  10. macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2007
    das Fort
    Definitely give them a call and try to find out what's going on. That certainly isn't normal behavior. You may have gotten a lemon, in which case Apple will send you a new one.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2008
    NYC, NY
    My stays cold always and i have a DLO silicon case so i dont feel it even if it did overheat
  12. macrumors 68020

Mar 15, 2008
    There are cases of batteries in similar devices developing a short and generating enough heat to catch on fire. If you're sensing a sub par battery life, and the case gets hot to the touch, I'd suspect a bad battery and get it replaced as soon as possible.
  13. macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2008
    Overheating when not charging...

I actually just noticed my iPod Touch (30GB) getting unusually warm, and it's not plugged in to anything. Beginning to worry a little, as this has never happened. I stopped playing it and it seems to have cooled down. I'm sure it's totally out of warranty now (had it replaced for a bad battery once before too). Anyone else experience anything similar? :confused:
  14. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Jan 17, 2008
    ...30GB iPod touch...?
  15. macrumors 65816

Nov 2, 2007
    umm... they did

the 8600mbp, and ibook that overheated and combusted (they werent apples parts, but apple chose 2 put them in, as w/ the ipod parts.)
  16. macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2008
    32GB, sorry.
  17. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Jan 17, 2008
    And I'm sure that upon learning they were insufficient parts that Apple stopped using them in their computers.
  18. macrumors newbie

May 1, 2010
    Well my ipod touch just got seriously hot - painful to touch, It's fried now. Just the white screen of death. 2 months out of warranty too. It happened while charging.
  19. macrumors newbie

Apr 23, 2011
    Dead Space is overheating my ipod

Hi, I have an ipod 4g and recently installed dead space. The game runs perfectly but after a minute or so the ipod starts getting so hot that my hands hurt (SERIOUSLY!!!), any advice of how can I treat this issue or how does this affect my ipod's life. Thanks!
  20. macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2011
    Really? I heard reports of people saying that the iPod tells them that it's overheating, just like the iPhone. Never encountered the overheating screen but...
  21. QuestorJones, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

macrumors newbie

Jul 26, 2011
    I have seen the message first hand... the iPod Touch says that it is overheating and you need to let it cool down before using it (does not let you continue). However, it only ever happened one time (but repeated even after I let it cool) so I just reset it and the error went away... I did this because it was not warm at all, even when I got the message the first time.

Have not seen the message since (even under heavy usage), so my guess is that it may have been erroneous, at least in my case...however, the ipod touch definitely does a check for overheating. (at least in 2nd Gen iPod Touch)
  22. macrumors member

Jul 18, 2011
    If it does overheat, it will tell you that it is too hot and to turn it off, but you shouldn't have any problems with that. When playing CPU-intensive games such as Infinity Blade or Real Racing 2, my iPod touch (4th gen) can get pretty warm, especially if I have a case on it, but it never gets really "hot". Just make sure the heat can dissipate (i.e, don't leave it on your bed/pillow and make sure there's plenty of air circulation)
  23. macrumors member

Mar 9, 2011
    i have a ipt 4 and yes, it will get warm when you use it alot. though if it overheats from use then you have an issue. i have seen the overheated screen once and that was when i left the ipod in a car for around 10 minutes, i pressed the lock button and it said, "ipod temperature is to hot, please wait" or something along those lines, any way if that pops then just wait till it cools enough to use.
  24. macrumors member

Jul 23, 2011
    if you feel it getting hot then ether take the case off(if u have one) and set it cool off
  25. macrumors newbie

Dec 15, 2012
    Can somebody watch you through your FaceTime camera. If so how do I know?