iPod Questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Marlon_JBT, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2003
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hello everyone. I used search, but I cannot seem to find a straight answer. I have a couple questions about the iPod.

I have collected a good amount of money from people for Christmas. (Yes, I thanked them.) Now, I have enough to buy a refurbished iPod. I'm in a $150 - $200 US price range. I found this iPod on smalldog.com.

My questions are:

1. Will this iPod play AACs at all? (Out of the box, or with firmware/software updates?)

2. What capabilities does this generation of iPod have?

3. Is this 10GB model a good buy?

I want the iPod to play AACs, it's a necessity. I already know about its FireWire Disk mode.

Will I need to find a 3g iPod for these capabilities? I don't have the patience to wait for the savings for a new one. How much are the 3g's running refurbed?

Thanks for your help.
  2. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2003
    Meadville, PA
    1. Yes! You will probably have to do a firmware update (its VERY easy, plug in your ipod and run Software Update)

2. Most everything you could need (it doesn't record and is missing 2 games)

3. They are all, it just depends on how much music you have.

I have access to a 3G ipod, and own a 2G one, and i like the 2G one more, the buttons are in much better positions (why did apple fix something that wasn't broke?)
  3. zellin macrumors regular

Nov 23, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Because in a lot of people's opinions it was broke.
  4. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

Apr 14, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Wait until MWSF in case these rumoured "mini" iPods come out. I've had 2nd and 3rd G iPods and really, the 3rd's are better. They're so much more aesthetic (is that how you spell it :p?) But just wait a week from tomorrow and see what comes along.
  5. Marlon_JBT thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2003
    Detroit, Michigan
    mmmdreg - The new iPods, while promising, might not be enough for me.

Vlade - So, what you're saying is that all I have to do with the 2nd Gen iPod as pictured in that webpage is plug it in, update the firmware, and it will be able to play AAC? Cool!

What are the rest of the iPods running refurbished? I might be able to increase my budget. :)
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    With refurb iPods, what happens to the battery when it runs out? I don't own an iPod, and I only know of one person that owns one, but I didn't think you could get a new battery, so you're buying an iPod with an old battery that may zonk out at any moment.

Or maybe I'm just highly mistaken. :eek: