Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevp1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
I'm thinking about gettin an Ipod, but I have some concerns. Any answers would be appreciated.

1. can i rip Cd's directly to the Ipod, or do I also have to store the music on my HDD. I'd rather not take up 15GB of my PB if I can avoid it.

2. Are there any wireless options out there (bluetooth, wifi) for either sync'ing or streaming to/from a Pod? are there any hints that feature lies in the future?

3. sort of connected to q2, should I pull the trigger now or are there indications that the 4g pods are coming soon?

Anyway, thanks for any and all help.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I don't have the answers to 1 and 3, but I can assure you that you wouldn't want to do any file transfers over Bluetooth. Bluetooth's max speed is a whole 1mbps, while USB 2.0 and Firewire 400 hit 480mpbs and 400mbps respectively.

For what its worth, I'm inclinded to think there will be iPod updates in the coming month or two, but thats just a hunch.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
1. To get music on the iPod your CDs have to been on the computer first, but once they are on your iPod you can delete the music from your computer and just play them through the pod, even on the computer. Many people do it this way to save space. There are 3rd party programs that will let you put your music back on the computer from the pod if you choose.

2. You can stream music to your stereo in your house or car with 3rd party hardware, such as the iTrip, which is pretty cheap.

3. Many seem to think new iPods are right around the corner, especially since iTunes 4.5 was just released. It’s hard to tell however and other’s say the iPod is selling well so an update is not necessary at this time. Update or not to the 3rd generation iPod, the Mini iPod is the best and I would get that. There is no need to carry around 15Gigs of music at a time. Just my opinion.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Now might be a time to buy a external HDD for your PB. The bonus is that you could take and use Carbon Copy Cloner to back up your PB HDD and have a bootable solution for the dreaded HDD failure on your PB.

Stevp1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I do have an extra drive that I'm planning on getting an enclosure for, I just hadn't thought about using it for this, but it's definetly an option. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.